Dog vs. Racoon

Quote:
Well, its funny that you mention that about coons & water. My father was raised in the country & told me that he was a member of a "raccoon hunting club". Basically, the boys would catch coons & put them on top of barrels in the middle of a pond. They would send their dogs in to the pond to get the coons. He said that most of the time, they were going in to rescue their dogs because the coon would jump on their heads & drown them. So cruel for the raccoon but definitely an interesting story!

Quote:
so what does a person do if a racoon can chew through the roof?? What are my other alternatives? A new metal roof for my coop?

My dog was doing great this morning--she's a scrapper. She's got a thick, triple layer coat which makes it easy for her fight animals because they rarely can get down to the skin through all of that hair. I think she has a false sense of security
lol.png

I have a friend who coon hunts with a couple of blue ticks. They have rabies shots every year just to be on the safe side. If they have a close encounter with them he washes the dogs while wearing disposable rubber gloves. Even without rabies these animals are especially strong and agile--they can do a job on a dog.

Coons can and do chew there way into coops and houses.My brothers a building contractor, a couple years ago we did a roof repair where coons chewed there way into the attic. What a mess they made, they were living there until removed.The owner was a weekender and took awhile to catch on to thier presents.

I've got a dog that's death on coons or anything else that dares the perimeter. When he was about 7 mo. old I heard him bark once, heard a coon squall once and went to check. He came bounding into the light looking good, so I just figured he got taught a lesson and that was the end of it. The next morning I found that coon stretched out on the back porch with not a mark on it....just some guts squeezed out his anus. Dog must have bit once, gave a squeeze and a shake and the coon was no more. Big coon, too!

He killed a big groundhog in the same manner that same month. I've not had anymore predation since I got this Lab/BC cross muttly.....
smile.png

Give your dog a treat for being so vigilant and on the job!

Would have been a dead coon had it been in my yard. Any animal thats going to be going after my chickens or get in a fight with my dog is a dead animal. 12 guage will work quite nicely. Coons also can carry rabies. If your dog doesnt have uptodate rabies shots you may want to take her/him into the vet. I would do what ever you can to get rid of any coons that are coming in your yard. It will not get better. Just make sure how ever you go about it you do it legally. Now if you find it IN your chickens then I think you could shoot it in defence of your property, atleast up here in Alaska I know you can (we dont have coons though).

Other baits that work on coons are: Black licorice, marshmallows, fruity jellies (grape, strawberry, raspberry, etc.), and peanut butter. These things are not as attractive for dogs and cats, so you will have less of them bothering your traps. Tuna, eggs, or meat will attract your dogs and cats, and you will have a terrible time of keeping them from your traps. And---that coon will be back. Most likely at night. Yes, they can and will dig/chew through roofs and walls in order to get your birds. Good luck!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I live in a suburban setting & my coop is approximately 4 feet from my neighbor's fence. I can't shoot any guns. My husband does have a bow & arrow & he has threatened to stake an all nighter out in our 4 seasons room with a 12 pack to get things taken care of.

I think Im going to buy a live trap tomorrow
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom