Dog Warning Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Steve. I'm sorry to hear what has happened but glad that you will continue on with chickens. Sometimes there simply are setbacks. Your post was a great one to remind others of the need for caution.

I know exactly what you mean about the chickens running to you for safety. My four do exactly the same, whilst I am supervising their contact with our 11 year old ginger tom cat. (He is the Spike in my user name!). He has killed small wild birds in the past so I watch him carefully during short "introductions" to the garden at the same time. The chickens are 14 weeks old now and are large birds (Australorp, RUR, Barnevelder & Silver Campine) so they are getting bigger. Even so, they have only just had their third "meeting". If the cat startles them, they run to me. The cat is then completely baffled (fortunately, rather than continuing the chase). The third meeting yesterday he just got up on his outside cushion and went to sleep, so he's getting the message. However, his instincts run deep and I will continue with only half an hour every few days when they're out together, so I can stay on high alert.

Good luck with your new chickens

I lost chick #2 when she squeezed through the poultry netting holes (lesson #101 in chicken raising)and ran to me... but I was standing next to my leashed dog, who promptly fatally wounded her with one chomp....
I am just trying to make it through the Spring when hopefully we can start hatching out our own chicks (more to spare) and they will bigger/ or at least my 14 week old Rooster will big enough to be more of a deterrant....Can totally relate, and sending you good thoughts towards your future chicken raising endeavors....

The same thing happened with me this past weekend with my Lhasa Apso. I feel bad both for the dead chicken and for my dog who was just following his instincts. Now he is showing real interest in the chickens, which he hadn't before this incident, so I have to be extra vigilant and work on training my dog. (but I won't trust him with the chickens for the forseeable future)
I love my dog, and I was disapointed in him, but mostly with myself for not being more careful. Boo! I feel your pain!

I am dealing with this with my 7 month old working line german shepherd. She has a ton of prey drive and I am trying to keep her from getting to drivey around the coop. Mine are locked down with chain link, and chicken wire and I am adding a hot wire fence around the coop so as to try to keep the pup away from it altogether. I do not believe I would ever trust a dog with my chickens personally.

I'm sorry you lost your little girl
hugs.gif

Personally, I keep my dogs and chickens separate. I know that one of them wouldn't hurt a flea but the other 3 would chomp on them quicker than a could move to save them..even on lead.

I have two short stories to share.

First, I have a male akita. When he was about a year old, my DH decided we should introduce him to our chinchilla. 'Don't worry honey, I have him firmly by the collar he won't be able to touch him, I just want to see what he does'. Famous last words. Introduce chinchilla, chomp goes the dog, thank goodness he just got a mouthful of fuzz. Point of this story. Dogs can be fast! No matter how firmly we think we have a hold on them or how much control we think we have. Working a dog on a line is great..but, their reflexes are much faster than ours.

Second. Time in training does not necessarily grant you a chicken dog. Neither does time 'on the job' as a flock guardian. My daughter has a female lab. She has been with her chickens for over 3 years. The chickens would sleep on her back in the sun. A few weeks ago, my daughter went across the street to the neighbors. She was gone for 10 minutes. When she got back, Addy had killed 3 of her chickens and was chewing on her favorite pullet. This was a dog that had protected this flock for over 3 years. Lesson? Dogs will be dogs. We can't expect more from them then that. No matter how much training.

I'm sorry you disagree. I've been training dogs for over 20 years. Things can and do happen. Those are true and factual stories. They did happen. If you think every dog can be trained to be perfectly safe with your chickens or, anything for that matter then, I'm sorry, but someday you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I am giving advice, the same as you. Just because our experiences differ doesn't mean either of us are wrong.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Working with animals / livestock is not a business of absolutes. Once in a while an animal behaves in a manner that impacts negatively the cost of operation. Despite that, such animals can still be a net benefit. For most, the losses incurred by a dog are early on with that being part of the training for livestock keeper, dog and even livestock. If we can not tolerate setbacks at any level, then working with any type of organism is not going to be considered a success.

edited by staff

I was also saying that there are no absolutes. I was trying to make the OP feel better and that it wasn't her fault. These things happen. Most people do not have the time needed to devote to the proper training to prevent losses. That needs to be taken into consideration. Just because some want to keep chickens and not have a livestock dog doesn't make it wrong to keep both.

OP...good luck with your chickens and your dog. Many of us keep both without ever integrating them. I have 4 dogs and 35 chickens. I've had no losses to date with the dogs being kept separate from the chickens. It takes extra vigilence but, it can be done successfully. If you chose to train your dog further, good luck with that decision. In the end, we all need to do what is best for our own flock and family.

edited by staff

Stressing positive will be better for all parties long-term. Having anecdotal stories providing negative connotations without explanations on how to correct problem is not productive, just another sad story. Look into how changes in your activities can be used to fix problems. Mistakes / errors on ones part should not mean success can not be realized. Learn from them.

Reading your post and those of many others leaves me feeling dogs are regarded more of a threat than as a benefit. I could not keep poultry as I do without dogs. Many domesticated animal species and even some plant species could not have been kept without domestic dogs first being present either as guardians or for herding. Take time to indicate a domesticated terrestrial species that at some point in its developement did not require or at least benefit from presence of dogs.

I never said that success can't be realized. You have your way, I have mine. I try to be realistic. Not all dogs will be good flock companions. Dogs are predators, chickens are prey. Some dogs just will never be able to be around livestock no matter how much you train. That is being realistic. My points were not to be used as training exercises. My points were that if you don't have the time it takes to try and succeed or, you don't want to lose animals in the process then, keep your animals separated, period. Not everyone needs a livestock guardian..so pushing training onto someone that isn't prepared or simply doesn't have the time is setting that person up for even more losses. I'd rather give 'horror' stories then provide advice that might end up losing someone their entire flock.

Both sides of every story needs to be told so that the OP can make an informed decision and not feel bad if they chose to keep their animals separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom