dog with gingivitis what to do

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi every one I have a dog with very bad breath and kinda black and and light red gums I took him to the vet and he has gingivitis the vet gave be some chewys and some spray to put on his teeth and I did she said if it don't work then to take him for a teeth cleaning but I'm alittle worried about him going under so is there anything else I can do for him

If it's bad enough to be noticeable then it's probably best to have his teeth cleaned at the vet's. After having to take in some of my dogs for teeth cleaning multiple times I now brush my dogs' teeth daily or use my finger to rub dental gel onto their teeth, and I think it does help keep build up down.

You could buy a finger brush and some doggy toothpaste, use your fingernail to scrape away tartar, or you could buy some raw bones with lots of meat on them and let him do the job himself, but if it has advanced that much, it would be better to do a dental. I didn't like the idea of putting my dog under either (she was 7 y.o. at the time and sensitive to drugs) but I did like the idea of getting her teeth cleaned and they use a sort of power washer these days to really get them clean. If you are concerned about the effect of the anesthetic, you could always do bloodwork first for peace of mind. That's what we did.

Good luck.

thanks I have brushed his teeth and unless I use a baby tooth brush he will bleed and he will get sick if I give him the raw bones so ive given him some toys that are supposed to get the tarter off but it did not work its like the tarter is harded on his teeth

It's likely bleeding when you brush because it's already in the gums. I would really think about having the vet get it cleaned up as much as possible, and then start on a home dental hygiene routine after that to maintain it so he won't have to go back again.

Well, it does sound like the best option would be a dental cleaning and I completely understand your concerns. Things you can do to make it safer for your dog would be pre-anesthetic bloodwork. This will show any signs of infection and how all the organs are functioning which will help determine if it is safe to proceed. Placing an IV catheter would also be a smart and safe option, giving the veterinarian team direct access to a vein and also the ability to add fluids during the procedure for extra support. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Some dogs are genetically prone to gingivitis and tooth loss. I am currently dealing with my 9yr old Maltese, on Monday he goes in for more teeth to be pulled.

Generally if the breath really smells bad, its the bacteria getting under the gums causing inflammation. The gums will then begin to recede. (According to my vet, some dogs develop more mouth bacteria than others, no matter how much you brush the teeth.) Eventually gingivitis leads to tooth loss. You should let your vet know if your dog has any loose teeth now or in the future.

All you can do is brush his teeth well every day, use tartar sprays on his teeth. Have your vet clean the teeth once a year. Have your vet remove any loose teeth as there is infection under these teeth.

I started brushing my dogs teeth when he was 3 months old, and still he has raging gingivitis. I am going to start my dog on Colidal Silver spray on his teeth after Monday, he still has some of his teeth left, I am hoping to save these.

Back
Top Bottom