Dog with torn ACL

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Appytaz, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Has anyone had a dog with a torn ACL? I took my boxer/huskey mix to the vet yesterday and found out she has a torn ACL. They are hoping with complete bedrest it will heal without the need for surgery. I am just wondering if anyone else has had luck with rest working for you?

Thanks, Kellee

2. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    Yep, our dog went through that. Unfortunately for us, bed rest didn't work and after the third re-injury we ended up doing the surgery. She was 4 at the time and is 15 now. Other than the fact that she can't jump as high as she could before the surgery, she has full range of motion and no limp. It was well worth doing on a dog as young as she was, I'm not at all sorry to have spent the $$. Good luck with yours, I hope bed rest will be enough. [​IMG]

3. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    If your vet says bedrest, go for it. You can always have the surgery done later if needed. My dog has no indication of his torn ACL, but I no longer let him jump and dance when he greets me (poodle!) and we no longer do agility. He runs and plays and fetches and chases squirrels like nothing ever happened, though!

The person who takes care of my "zoo" when I go away is a dog trainer and vet tech. Last year one of her dogs tore an ACL and the vet suggested "bedrest" and her dog is fine now. He told her that ACL surgery is a current fad and over-prescribed. If the tear is not complete and the dog can be kept quiet, it can heal.

It's the "quiet" part that is the big challenge!

4. debashan

debashan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    Yes, my lab-mix tore his and I panicked and got the surgery for him. It was 4th of July weekend and was $600.00. This was about 10 yrs. ago. My equine vet told me I should have saved my money and just rested him. He limped until he passed. I wouldn't do it again. Hope this helps a little with your decision making. Good luck, Debbie

5. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the info. The vet does not want to do the surgery and that is why we are trying the rest first. The quote for the surgery was $1150. Daisy is 6 yrs old and just a bundle of run! She loves to lap the back pasture that is a little over an acre. I feel so horrible because I was doing our cheer for her when she did. She loves to show you how fast she can run and we do the "Go Dasiy Go" cheer when she comes running at us. Last night was the 1st night of hand walking to go potty only and no jumping. That is the hard part for her. This dog is a couch potatoe! She has her end of the couch and we are allowed to join her on the other side :) She has also slept with me since she was 8 weeks old. We had to get a bigger bed when the BF moved in so there would be room for all 3 of us. Last night I moved to the couch and made her a "bed" beside the couch. It worked last night. Today the couch is completely baracaded and grandma is staying with her. In case you can't tell - this dog is definately our child :) I am glad to hear that some have had good results with the rest. That is what we are shooting for.

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My friend just went through this with her Golden...the surgery cost her a bundle, but it was a pretty bad case. I hope the bed rest works for your dog. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My dog had it several years ago. The incision site would always drain. Three years later, the vet removed the implants and it had done its job. His leg was almost like new. My surgery cost about $350, which I thought was reasonable.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My lab/retriever mix had it when she was 12 years old from jumping out of our pickup truck. We tried the bed rest and it didn't work. We had her get a thorough blood workup (due to her age) to ensure she could handle the surgery and did it. We enjoyed 3 more years with her and were pleased we went through with it.

I remember our vet mentioned a drug that is often recommended for use for these injuries and he said not to use it. There was a lot of info on the net of people discussing the drug and their dogs died from taking it. I can't remember what it was called, but I bet if you do a search on ACL dog injuries you would find it. He also mentioned that for very active or young dogs, they usually end up tearing it over and over and you have to be very careful with their activity after the surgery..for the rest of their life.

I hope rest works for your dog.

Jody

9. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I've only seen bedrest be successful once and it was on a dog that had sx for one busted knee and blew the other a few months later, the owners opted for bedrest since it was so soon after the first and she is still doing good to this day. The bedrest has to be EXTREMELY strict, like 23.9 hours a day in a crate and only going outside on a leash to potty a few times a day.
    I have known about 15 dogs with torn cruciates and the surgery has always gone great, but like I said, I've only seen one success with the bed rest, I hope it works for you! It definitely isn't going to hurt anything to give it a try! Good luck!

10. blazinchicken

blazinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    South East, Tennessee
    And with you living in Florida, if you do have to have the surgery, it's gonna cost you a pretty penny. I lived there when my dog got hit by a car and dislocated her hip last year. The vet there wanted 1000.00 dollars to do surgery on her. I called around and ended up bringing her to Tennessee and got it done for 350.00. And she is doin great, can't even hardly tell she had the surgery other than the scar that you really have to look close to see. Hopefully the rest will do yours good. If not and you know of someone that lives in another state have them check and see the cost. It might be to your benefit if you have to have the surgery done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by