Dog

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
No chickens bothered but I had a dog in my yard. It avoided the run which makes me wonder if it hadn't experienced the electric fence before. The cat was more effected. I was effected by the cats claws.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_114011~2.jpg
    IMG_20200923_114011~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Looks like a breed called the Walker Hound, used for hunting Racons & Fox and the rare occasion bear (Trigg Hounds are better for this). If you do catch it the collar will have a ID and phone number, DO NOT FEED IT OR PET IT, these dogs are very intelligent and will return if you feed it or socialize it. Did it tree the cat or did the cat just over react?

The good news he was not scent tracking at your coop so no predators scent near by but a trail cam to see what is coming around at night

Looks like a breed called the Walker Hound, used for hunting Racons & Fox and the rare occasion bear (Trigg Hounds are better for this). If you do catch it the collar will have a ID and phone number, DO NOT FEED IT OR PET IT, these dogs are very intelligent and will return if you feed it or socialize it. Did it tree the cat or did the cat just over react?

The good news he was not scent tracking at your coop so no predators scent near by but a trail cam to see what is coming around at night
Yup, a Walker Coonhound for sure.
Even the markings are correct. It could be miles from home.
Hopefully the collar has an ID on it. Someone will be looking for that dog Esp. If it's a trained coon dog. My brother raised, trained and competed and hunted with those dogs. They are Very smart dogs but, persistent.

I'm a horrible person that my first thought was to video it getting zapped by my fence🙂 The top is netted so I wasn't worried with me watching. It seemed uninterested in chickens. It didn't hang around long but it it comes back I'll try to catch it if it will come to me.

I'm a horrible person that my first thought was to video it getting zapped by my fence🙂 The top is netted so I wasn't worried with me watching. It seemed uninterested in chickens. It didn't hang around long but it it comes back I'll try to catch it if it will come to me.
No, just a Protective Hen. Lol
We have a lot of money, love and time into our chickens. So to have a dog, preditor approach the chickens, it's natural to react. Some people would have shot the dog.

Dog could have been tracking a deer...but good thing it did not get side tracked and decide to have a party with the chickens.
Poor kitty...My poor cat has been put up a tree by passing dogs before but luckily she finds her way back down eventually.

Back
Top Bottom