DOG

i have a wolf hybrid (almost pure wolf and 170lbs of it at that, he's 12 ears old btw)

he is on a runner for now tell i fence in my property (he likes horses and the neighbors have horses
hmm.png
)

at first he was into trying to eat the chickens but after a month of not being able to get them (i have smart chickens) he gave up on the "YUM! chicken!" way of thinking now the chickens can and will go in is reach all they want and he just lays there

he even lets them eat out of his food dish!

then again i feed him really well............

in sort if i can train my wolf not to eat my chickens and sure theres a way to train your dog to.

thanks Aj1911.
i appreciate that.

clarification:
* the chickens are in a fenced area, the fence was obviously not amazingly sturdy if he got in.
* a land co-op is just what it sounds like, some people owning land together, this way what is built on the land can be controlled and no huge say strip malls or large non eco friendly houses can be built. everything needs to be approved by the land co-op people.
* for those of you who know a little about dog breeds my dog is a village dog from the middle east (found him in the street as a pup and brought him back with me) these dogs are used throughout the middle east for a variety or purposes, but mostly herding and guarding, they aren't as "specialized" in terms of motor patterns as are the pure breeds that were actually bred for a specific purpose. if any of you know Ray Coppinger its what he refers to as "the perfect pet dog" because their main characteristic is adaptability and being very attuned to the owners and 'living among humans".
* i didn't feel like i was getting attacked. sorry if it seemed that way. i only said thanks for "sticking up for me" to thank cmjust0 for his post (quote: “You may not realize it yet, my friend, but you just stuck your head in the lion's mouth .To everyone about to jump his hind end, let me just point a few things out”)
* sorry I didn’t post all of this sooner. I am new to this posting thing.

Thank you for all your help. I think that for now I will stick to the training that I know and has worked up until now. I heard about this ‘tieing the chicken around the neck’ thing and wanted to know if anyone knows if its true because from what I know about dogs I couldn’t figure out how that would help.

I do believe that there is a way to train him not to chase and be interested in these chickens. I can also arrange from him to have exposure and corrections.

Thank you and I hope all your chicken lay well and live happy. (minus the laying I hope that for you all as well. )

I don't know about tieing the dead chicken around his neck, but someone on another thread posted that they took the dead chicken and beat the tar out of the dog with it.....

A shock collar does wonders for dogs who view chickens as prey or play. I've used a shock collar to train many dogs, all of which have preyed on chickens. Now, I let my dogs in the yard without immediate supervision and with the freerange chickens.

Also the best thing about a shock collar is it can be used to train more than one dog. So, say another dog in the co-op is having issues, you can very well lend out the collar.
smile.png

-Kim

Beat the dog with the dead chicken don't hurt him though! & then tie the dead chicken around his neck and leave it there for a couple days til it starts stinking.

Quote:
We used a shock collar on our dogs 4 years ago, never used it again, never had to. They learned the lesson so well. I've used in on our GSD that was given to us as a 7 month old pup, given away because he was a chaser of ducks. We used it on our beagle, australian shepherd, GSD mix, and australian shepherd/st.bernard. The St.bernard/aussie mix killed 6 chickens when we first got her. The beagle, a turkey. The aussie, a rooster.

All the dogs no longer have any interest what so ever in the chickens, or any of my birds for that matter. I'll have to get a picture! Everyone lives happily together now, being in my backyard with the dogs, chickens, ducks, and geese all in a big flock.
smile.png

Have you considered getting some chickens yourself? Hear me out on this, and I'll try to make sense. Especially since I'm not sure how I got from a chicken chaser to a nice dog so fast. I'll tell you what happened, and you can draw conclusions, if thats ok.

I have an aussie shepherd. Three weeks ago she would chase any and all chickens. And made a little game out of running at the chicken coop just to watch them back away from the fence. Well, I wanted to free range them because they just didn't have enough room in there. So you can imagine my trepidation right? well the first time I let them out she was with me. And she chased the chicken, and I was standing right there so I grabbed her and spanked her. Like you , I'm not too shabby of a dog trainer and I have total control of her on and off the leash (True confessions: I encouraged her to chase the neighbors guineas out of our yard so I'm to blame for the chicken chasing.) Then after that, anytime she showed any interest at all in the chickens I would verbally warn her off. We didn't have a problem after 2 or 3 days, and I can almost trust her to be with them alone. Almost. We're new yet, but Leia learns fast.

So yes, I think as long as there's only been the single incident or short term problem, you're totally going to be able to train you dog. No problem. If you got your own chickens, that would take the novelty out of them. Or if thats totally out of the question, make regular trip to your neighbors to let your dog interact with the chickens in a controlled peaceful, well behaved manner. That way you don't get that "Oh look, a fluffy fully interactive new toy!" responce from your dog.

Anyways these are my thoughts.

Pampa,

Welcome! I think your dog can be helped. I don't believe anyone on here is a professional dog trainer. That, I believe is who you need to contact. We can only comment on your dog based on our own personal experieces with our own dogs & chickens. I too think you should replace your neighbors chickens and while you're at it...do get some for yourself. I think exposing the dog to chickens in a controlled way can only help. Dogs look for leadership from you so if you make it very clear to the dog the chicks/chickens are "off limits" - I would think it's a good start. Good Luck. If you can't find a dog trainer in your area...contact me. I'll put you in touch with one.

I probably should not be posting since one of my neighbors dogs came by my house yesterday and onto my fenced and cross fenced 5 acres to take and kill one of my chickens. All of my responsible neighbors keep their dogs locked in kennels unless they are out with them.
You sure do have an understanding neighbor; I am still so angry about this I just can't see straight. My neighbor says she would like to compensate me for the dead bird, but there is no form of compensation I can think of that is adequate for the poor choice they made to allow their dogs to roam freely onto other peoples property.
Good luck with your dog; I am a dog lover too and am currently working on the wife to have one.
As for their dog and my issue, it will be SSS.
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom