Dogs and chickens?

Should be easy to train have you started to train him yet??

He knows how to do sit and paw and wait for his food. He’s usually quite obedient but sometimes he’ll ignore your commands once he gets bored or if he gets distracted by something more interesting. That’s why I’m more concerned about him with the chickens because if he wants to play with them he may well just ignore us. I’m also not sure what specific commands I need to be using with him to teach him not to bother them. But I suppose the best thing I can do is just keep bringing him to them to show. 🤔

Chickens at the beginning of lay regularly lay shell-less and soft shelled eggs. It also happens sometimes to older birds due to hormone fluctuations in the fall and spring. I have three dogs and they don't effect the chickens laying at all.
Keep exposing him in environments where he will succeed and distract him with other tasks. If he's paying the chickens no mind, great, you can move a little closer. If he "locks on" to the birds and stops listening you're too close.
"Leave it" might be a useful command to teach. :p

Also why did you chose those breeds

We needed a guard dog. We live in the middle of the countryside so we get a lot of burglaries since we don’t have any neighbours it’s very easy for people to break in without anybody noticing. It was actually my Dad who chose the dog though. He did a lot of research into what breeds make good guard dogs and said that all three of them are very good at it. He describes him as “The one dog army” 😂😂😂

Chickens at the beginning of lay regularly lay shell-less and soft shelled eggs. It also happens sometimes to older birds due to hormone fluctuations in the fall and spring. I have three dogs and they don't effect the chickens laying at all.
Keep exposing him in environments where he will succeed and distract him with other tasks. If he's paying the chickens no mind, great, you can move a little closer. If he "locks on" to the birds and stops listening you're too close.
I agree

Oh thank you! I’ll definitely give that a go!

Also that’s exactly what happened the eggs - They were laying without shells and some with shells were very easily breakable. After reading through these comments I’m starting to think it may have had more to do with the hens’ young age rather than the dog. 🤔

I’ll start reintroducing the puppy to them then! 😁

Back
Top Bottom