Dogs and chickens

Do one maybe two brief shocks at a level where the dog will stop anything it is doing and take the collar off.
I would actually suggest against this. Leave the collar on whether you're using it or not, otherwise a smart dog will learn that the collar is related to the shocks and will misbehave when the collar is off.

Not if the punishment was delivered strong enough to where the correction only ever needs to be delivered once maybe twice if you have an extra extra stubborn mutt. And that second time may just be showing him the collar like I said not even putting it on. And this is all in one training session. I have never in my entire life had to use it another time after that. The dog will listen especially if you were already in control of it before this. And when your dog realizes you are boss the dog will take your commands seriously and will listen. Why keep a shock collar on your dogs neck 24/7 . what if the dog realizes you dont always have the remote? Or what if it slips off? And youre supposed to keep it on for the rest of its life or something? I do definitely think that shock collar training is not always the best choice. That is why I personally reserve it for extreme behaviors like messing with chickens or running into roads stuff like that.
:welcome :frow My brother used a shock collar on his dog. First he used the tone and gave the command he was trying to teach it, the dog didn't respond. Next he did the same thing with the vibrate and again the dog didn't respond so then he did the shock and that got the dogs attention. He kept the collar on the dog for a few more outings and when the dog heard the tone he responded. My brother then just started giving the dog the command and from then on it paid attention and he never had to use the collar again. Good luck...

Unfortunately I can't feasibly put up overhead netting over the chicken yard. It's a big yard.... Maybe 40 ft x 150 ft? And there are two collasol oak trees in the way which provide necessary shade over my backyard, coop, and run.

@cmom - Can show you how she used poultry netting to protect her birds.

My pens are 60'x200' I have trees that I planted in all of the pens. I did cut the netting I used to cover the pens and fastened the sections together with zip ties until they deteriorated and came off in places, now I have the sections fastened together with hog rings. It wasn't easy to put up and I did it myself with no help and I'm an old lady. The perimeter wire is chicken wire but I also have electric wires around the coops and pens. Nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I think the predators teach their young that the chickens aren't worth the pain of getting zapped.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

This is one section of the netting I used.
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg

Back
Top Bottom