dogs and ducks

mfoth54

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
I'm getting ducklings pretty soon, i also have 2 dogs and am worried about how they might react to each other. I have a Cocker Spaniel and a Golden Retriever. the Cocker is feisty and she acts like she would eat smaller animals but is too scared (she always stocks the cat). My Golden is the sweetest and wouldn't hurt a fly but she loves to play fight and chase. Any good or bad experiences? Any funny videos?

I'm raising ducks for the first time right now and have a similar dog situation - one young feisty pup and one wise old dog who never hurts anything. At first we were very careful only to let the dogs near the ducklings with supervision - at this point the ducklings were in a wading pool turned into a brooder, on top of a low wide table, so the dogs would have to crane their heads a bit to look at them. the ducklings were immediately curious about the dogs, not scared. we let them have more and more time together, always supervised, and telling the dogs that these were not their toys. Then we put the ducks in a flimsy pen outside for a little bit every day, where the dogs could see them but not get to them. They all got very accustomed to one another. We would throw the ball for the young dog right next to the duck pen so that they were used to her running near them and didn't startle and run away because I figure that dogs really mostly just like to chase things that run. Now they can all be outside together no problem (still supervised because the ducklings are just teenagers now). The dog can run right up to the ducks and they don't get scared at all. Actually, the dogs are both a bit wary of the ducks and will back off if the ducks get too close

I'm raising ducks for the first time right now and have a similar dog situation - one young feisty pup and one wise old dog who never hurts anything. At first we were very careful only to let the dogs near the ducklings with supervision - at this point the ducklings were in a wading pool turned into a brooder, on top of a low wide table, so the dogs would have to crane their heads a bit to look at them. the ducklings were immediately curious about the dogs, not scared. we let them have more and more time together, always supervised, and telling the dogs that these were not their toys. Then we put the ducks in a flimsy pen outside for a little bit every day, where the dogs could see them but not get to them. They all got very accustomed to one another. We would throw the ball for the young dog right next to the duck pen so that they were used to her running near them and didn't startle and run away because I figure that dogs really mostly just like to chase things that run. Now they can all be outside together no problem (still supervised because the ducklings are just teenagers now). The dog can run right up to the ducks and they don't get scared at all. Actually, the dogs are both a bit wary of the ducks and will back off if the ducks get too close
ill definitely try the idea of throwing the ball close to them. i really appreciate your feedback and i'm glad they are able to live in harmony. Thank you for the great ideas!

I have 5 dogs

Only 2 really give the ducks any consideration

My shih tzu and my lab.
We found my shih tzu wandering the streets and she loves to eat birds. Probably what she lived on when she was a stray. She is good with the ducks though. She protects and herds them

My lab is infatuated with my ducks. She is fascinated by them. When I let her out she always goes over to my Pekin’s pen and puts her nose up to it and my female Peep will bite her on the nose and my dog gets so excited and happy.

Key was exposing them, heavily supervised, early so they are used to one another

I have 5 dogs

Only 2 really give the ducks any consideration

My shih tzu and my lab.
We found my shih tzu wandering the streets and she loves to eat birds. Probably what she lived on when she was a stray. She is good with the ducks though. She protects and herds them

My lab is infatuated with my ducks. She is fascinated by them. When I let her out she always goes over to my Pekin’s pen and puts her nose up to it and my female Peep will bite her on the nose and my dog gets so excited and happy.

Key was exposing them, heavily supervised, early so they are used to one another
okay thank you! Your lab seems to have quite the personality

My dog is very protective, but she is part cattle dog and a little Kelpie among other things so it's in her genes to be a LSGD. What I've been surprised about were the cats. Including my cat that hunts bunnies. They pretend the ducklings don't exist.

Hello mfoth54, Welcome to BYC. I am a newbie here also :) What a great place to find valuable information with members who are very knowledgeable and more then will to jump in and help us newbies with our questions. In my own pasts experiences with my dog being around chickens, I didn't have any issues and he was a Blue Healer. IMO in short, its all in how your dogs are raised. I have heard horror stories from people who have had either their own dog and or the neighbors dogs get into their poultry and nothing good from any of it. A predator don't have to be a Coyote, Fox, Hawk or Raccoon, it can be your own dog if your not careful. Once they get the rush of the kill it ends up being down hill from there, either the dog goes bye ,bye or the birds. Best of luck and please keep us posted. :)

Hello mfoth54, Welcome to BYC. I am a newbie here also :) What a great place to find valuable information with members who are very knowledgeable and more then will to jump in and help us newbies with our questions. In my own pasts experiences with my dog being around chickens, I didn't have any issues and he was a Blue Healer. IMO in short, its all in how your dogs are raised. I have heard horror stories from people who have had either their own dog and or the neighbors dogs get into their poultry and nothing good from any of it. A predator don't have to be a Coyote, Fox, Hawk or Raccoon, it can be your own dog if your not careful. Once they get the rush of the kill it ends up being down hill from there, either the dog goes bye ,bye or the birds. Best of luck and please keep us posted. :)
I didn't think that the way you raise your dog would have such an influence. I guess it went right over my head. thanks! I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

I have chickens and ducks, a rabbit and two Rhodesian ridgebacks. At first my dogs were very excited, particularly my female, at the sight of the birds. In a very short amount of time my dogs are now indifferent. They seemingly now view them as part of our household. That said, I wouldn't let them frolic unattended. My dogs are after all hunting dogs, though their prey are lions, not birds. (To be clear, I am not a hunter and would NEVER hunt a lion. Ha ha. I just had to say that before the raised eyebrows. It is just their historic breeding.)

Our pets no matter how domesticated they may be, still have a wild genetic instinct in them. If and when they choose to act out on it, who knows? How many times have people been seriously hurt by a domesticated animal out of the blue and for no reason. Little children being bitten by the family dog and the dog has never shown any sign of aggression it's whole life. I am not trying to turn this post into a ugly debate, just trying to shine a little light onto a dog/duck relationship that has the ingredients to end poorly if anything happens?

Back
Top Bottom