DOGS! Anyone own a Catahoula?

Cats are a working dog bred to work cattle in the swamps and woods of LA. and now used to hunt wild hogs. Dogs were bred to have the grit to work with the cowboys and get the job done. And the ones at home on the homestead were to protect and defend til the cowhunter got home. In Florida we have the Florida Cur Dog used for ranch work. Sent into the swamps and bayheads to bring the cattle out and to the cowboys(Florida Crackers).
Would love to have another Cat. Right now looking for a good working line Fla. Cur Dog.

Maye

Love our Catahoula/ Collie mix my female Collie mix just had her second litter keeping most for the farm. My male is very protective of home, yard, against any intruder. My female is very laid back. They are great with our children and trust them to gaurd our kids when they are outside away from us. My female is great with chickens and ducks not so for our male killed all our ducks. So smart loves to chase cars though. Would do it all over it again.
[/IMG]

I actually have two and do great with my chickens. :D my male has been around chickens as a puppy and is good and safe around them. my female was about 2 when she was introduced to them. It was a hard fought road with her but with the assistance of my male training her to protect instead of trying to herd and nip at their heels. she's going on 3.5 now and is doing amazing. she alerts and runs to the door as soon as she hears any of my girls or roo squawking. I open the door and they both run out towards the chickens and check to threats before spreading out. it does take a lot of work to get them to that point though. daily training and exposure with both. she's actually the one who killed the fox who was harassing my flock this year. no bites or scratches or anything on her. wasn't expecting her to catch it just run it off.

Back
Top Bottom