Dogs attacking my chickens . . . again

Yeah, in hindsight I probably should have grabbed something larger. It would have sucked if the animals had attacked me directly, or if I ended up having to go inside the coop (close quarters) with just a bolt-action .22LR. I grabbed the Winchester 69 without thinking, it is the gun I always use for critter control, I leave it leaned up against my office door with the 5-rnd mag in my desk drawer. May not be the most powerful piece of hardware, but I can shoot the tail off a mouse with it.

I remember the first time I went rabbit hunting, I asked where should I aim for, my grandpa said "Anywhere in the eye is OK." So that's what I do :)

Animal control finally came & picked up the carcasses today. 2 birds dead, 2 injured although I'm fairly confident they will both make it. What sucks the most is one of the fatalities was my only Americauna, so no more green eggs :(

Strangely enough, the animal control officer lives just 2 miles away, she recognized one of the dogs as having gotten into her coop before. She asked if I wanted to cite the owners and press charges, I declined. I don't want them knowing who I am so I'm not harassed later for killing their pets. She said "All they will know is that the animals were caught killing someone's livestock and shot, they won't even know it was chickens.

Thank goodness I live in a farmer-friendly state :)

Entirely your call and everyone's situation is different... That being said, I'd have told the AC officer to cite them with everything he could think of and let them know a bill for your losses is coming. Most people need to be hit in the wallet before it sinks in that they need to change their ways. This time it may have "only" been chickens but next time it could just as easily have been larger, more expensive livestock.

>>Strangely enough, the animal control officer lives just 2 miles away, she recognized one of the dogs as having gotten into her coop before. She asked if I wanted to cite the owners and press charges, I declined. I don't want them knowing who I am so I'm not harassed later for killing their pets. She said "All they will know is that the animals were caught killing someone's livestock and shot, they won't even know it was chickens.

Thank goodness I live in a farmer-friendly state :)<<<

I live in a farm friendly state also... I have very secure fencing around our 2 acre chicken run that is 10' tall,,,but somtimes that is not enough...you will have a failure...last year my teen-age grandson went into the chicken run to feed them and when he open the gate 2 chickens escaped to our main property that has another perimeter fence around our 8 acres homesite that is 4' tall and beyond that there is other fencing around the remainder of our property.. anyway that afternoon a dog came on to the property and killed one of the chickens and i just happen to hear our dogs trying to chase the stray dog away.... so I grab my 270 rifle with a 4 x 9 scope and shot him through the head at 100 yards out... ... best shot i ever made :)

I am sorry for your loss. I know today first hand how that feels. My 14 hens free range on our 2 1/2 acres with pond, and lots of trees and bushes to hide in. This afternoon two dogs came on our property. We have never had any before. One was a German Shepard dragging his chain and the other a beagle. I was inside and happened to see them, but not soon enough. Since the weather has turned so cold the girls have been staying mostly in the coop. Their automatic door still opening to give them the opportunity to get out if they chose. At about 3 pm I went to let the cats out from the back porch for a little exercise and fresh air and saw the tracks in the snow, then the dogs running in the drive. I chased them off then saw feathers, and more feathers then 2 hens on the ground. By the time I got to the coop there were 2 more, all were laying all within 15 feet of the coop/run. 1 more laying in the coop. They were all still warm. I think one passed as I picked her up. I spent the next 2 and half hours trying to find the rest. Of the ones that are left, all are injured, one is still missing. 2 probably won't make it more than a day or two, and the rest God help them. The girls used to follow me everywhere when I was outside. After this they won't let me get too close. But I have to to take care of their wounds. Then they get stressed more. I put a heat lamp in the coop tonight and left their morning light on for extra heat. I hope it's enough. I don't know how they will handle all their wounds and the extreme cold expected tonight. Aside from tending their wounds, trying to give them extra heat, feeding them higher protein feed,etc. and keeping them inside the coop, I don't know what else I can do to help them survive. I have had a hen survive my "MIL" (DSO's mom"s) dog who thought she was retrieving, but that was in the summer. It's so cold, down to 6 tonight. I don't expect to see the missing one again either. All my fault, their run is completed, and I just thought I would be able to finish sooner, but I couldn't.
(I don't mean to take away from the OP, I just am heartbroken. Thanks.)

Back
Top Bottom