Dogs - carcasses?

Dec 2, 2020
I had a large 70-90lbs dog take at least 3 maybe 4 chickens. I caught it going back for more, it cornered me in the run and I probably killed it- although it ran into deep woods and snow in a neighbors property so I couldn’t check the stomach contents. The amount of blood indicates it was mortally wounded.

I found a few feathers for 3/4 of my birds, but no blood and no carcasses. I spent several hours searching with a hiking thermal and found most of the birds hiding in tree wells. The missing birds didn’t show up this morning, but it was dark when I left for work.

Will a dog consume the birds whole, or is there usually part of a carcass? Why no blood?

sometimes dogs carry their loot off and bury it for later.
Also, once the prey is dead for a while you won't find much blood at all.

but dang, the beast cornered you in your chicken run?!
I don't wish any animal ill, but I hope you got it.
Sorry for the loss though.

When it turned its attention to me, I was a little concerned. Chicken run is large - 10,000 square feet. Fenced with a game fence, but I was going to plow a bit and had opened it up when I checked them earlier in the day.

It got my 2nd favorite hen too.

Thankful I didn’t get mauled.

I had a large 70-90lbs dog take at least 3 maybe 4 chickens. I caught it going back for more, it cornered me in the run and I probably killed it- although it ran into deep woods and snow in a neighbors property so I couldn’t check the stomach contents. The amount of blood indicates it was mortally wounded.

I found a few feathers for 3/4 of my birds, but no blood and no carcasses. I spent several hours searching with a hiking thermal and found most of the birds hiding in tree wells. The missing birds didn’t show up this morning, but it was dark when I left for work.

Will a dog consume the birds whole, or is there usually part of a carcass? Why no blood?
cornered you? being aggressive? Growling? Baring teeth?
Do you know who the dog belonged to?

cornered you? being aggressive? Growling? Baring teeth?
Do you know who the dog belonged to?

Looked feral and fur was in poor condition. People dump dogs our here a lot. Doesn’t belong to any of my neighbors.

It blocked me into essentially a chute due to the snow, did a little false charge and then blocked the exit and barked/showed aggressive behaviour.

One of the missing cockerals showed up. Coloring means 1/2 the feathers were my favorite hen for sure.

Neighbor whose property it went into gave me permission to find it. Gotta dig out my snowshoes 3-4ft of snow.

I am definitely grumpy about it. Not sure how I will deal with it if the dog has tags. I am legally justified, but nobody wants to kill someone’s dog, but I’ve done it and seen it done on and near the Rez enough as a young man that dogs don’t hold the same charm to me as “normal” folks.

Looked feral and fur was in poor condition. People dump dogs our here a lot. Doesn’t belong to any of my neighbors.

It blocked me into essentially a chute due to the snow, did a little false charge and then blocked the exit and barked/showed aggressive behaviour.

One of the missing cockerals showed up. Coloring means 1/2 the feathers were my favorite hen for sure.

Neighbor whose property it went into gave me permission to find it. Gotta dig out my snowshoes 3-4ft of snow.

I am definitely grumpy about it. Not sure how I will deal with it if the dog has tags. I am legally justified, but nobody wants to kill someone’s dog, but I’ve done it and seen it done on and near the Rez enough as a young man that dogs don’t hold the same charm to me as “normal” folks.
I sure wish owners would be responsible for their animals. Training them, keeping them on their property, not dumping them... All applies.
This mess couldve been prevented if the dog had been looked after. I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

I’m happy to say the favorite hen, Frenchie showed up today. No frostbite. She seemed a bit wobbly. Not sure where she had been. Thankfully we’ve had mild weather 25-35 degrees.

Attachments

• 39AD748E-3FBE-4384-BEE0-BF8D42442815.jpeg
    39AD748E-3FBE-4384-BEE0-BF8D42442815.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom