dogs killed birds-what to charge?

You need to tell them the you are contacting the local sheriff's office and filing a report. Then you are contacting the animal shelter and filing a report. Then, tell them that if you see their dogs on the loose again around your birds you will shot to kill.

Then hand them a bill for 30 bucks a bird, explain to them that it is not just the replacement costs, it is the medication, the feed, the time and effort and the structures you have to make to keep a decent flock of birds. Then, with a pleasant smile, ask them if they would like some fresh eggs every so often.

GIVE IT TO EM. sorry for your loss.

I tend to think that if the neighbor wants to cooperate, go that route, no sense in ticking off the neighbor. He is liable for the losses to your coop and your girls and the loss of eggs. He needs to reimburse you for what you are out and loosing out on for eggs and such. If you are in an area that you can purchase started pullets, charge him the cost for those. Sometimes we get so far out there wanting to "stick it" to the dog owners. If they are trying to make it right, LET THEM! If they choose to not go with the price for your birds, then you can call the authorities. But give them a chance. Just my 2cents worth!

Quote:
I agree, Let them make it right with out going down evil neighbor hell, if you can. However, when you give them the bill, Itemize it, like was done earlier, so much for replacement chicks, feed, lost egg income, etc. I gaurantee you they are not thinking about that cost, and will flip if you hit them with a 4-500.00 bill for what they see as 20.00 worth of chickens. I did! But once it was laid out, it made sense, 23 weeks worth of feed is no small investment, and is fully justified, just not what we generally think of when we think of the cost of a chicken! And since these were pets, and not just birds, They are worth more than 10-15 dollars. 25.00 minnimum, if it were me, more, but my girls are all lap chickens! How do you replace that!

I wish you luck, these things hardly ever end well, but I think a clear and concisely itemized bill will certainly help keep the boat moving forward!

My thoughts are with you!

always call/notify animal control.. thes dogs could be causing problems with other neighbors and there should be a record of it.. even if the neighbor IS nice enough to admit the wrong and pay for everything.. SKIP the court. but please DO call and report to AC..
and as gross, heartbreaking as it is you need to get PICTURES of everthing.. the BEST thing is getting a photo of the dog IN the coop.. the dogs, the damage to the coop, the dead birds,, ect....

Last edited:
... also UNfortunaly. you can NOT put a price on "love".. or "pain and suffering" from the loss of a pet.. LEGALLY in court you can ONLY charge what the cost is to replace the animal

my moms little dog was killed by the neighbors 2pitbulls digging under HER fence to get in and kill her pet.. even tho she had a mental breakdown watching her beloved pet being LITTERALLY torn apart.. the cost of moving her to another house (because she was afraid to go out in her own yard, because of the pits)
the cost of fuel and time to go to court.. and the move...
she is only allowed to sue for $400 becaue that is how much i paid for him, to buy him as a puppy...

ALSO in court..
if you charge them $50 a chicken for a RIR.. +this+ that +another thig++++ = $600
they can argue back cant they??? if they find an add in the paper for RIR hens $10.. and cheaper feed prices... couldnt they fight your charges???
so i would not OVER charge them.. but yes make sure you get a "bill" to them and give them a time limit to pay or take them to court.... then you could add on a day off of work to the bill.. remember to take NOTES of EVERYTHING and take PICTURES!!!!

I wouldnt charge for "proposed eggs that the chicken may have laid in the next year"..sorry,that seems a little silly to me,you dont know that said chicken wouldnt have dropped over dead the next week anyway because birds die for no reason sometimes..just seems extreme to me..I would charge what the birds would be valued at for your area..here this time of year you would be lucky to get $10 a hen..turkeys run anywhere from $20 on up,what people ask for their birds and what they actually get are sometimes two very different things..it is unfortunate but they are willing so far to cooperate,I would just be fair,good neighbors are worth more then a few dollars IMO.

OMHO, I would not charge for proposed eggs either. I guess I look at it this way, when one of my cows die from whatever reason, the tax preparer only gives me credit on my taxes for loss of a cow at market price. Not proposed calves or milk if dairy cow or anything else. You don't get to count off on feed for that one cow(overall costs yes).

I guess what I am thinking, is if the neighbor wants to make it good, let him buy you replacement pullets & ducks, same age, same breed, ready to pick up where your others were lost. That is what a court would do. Then you are not out anything, except the sentimental value of your chickens. Also let him fix your coop. Pay for the materials and cost to repair it. That is fair and everyone gets back to normal.

I agree give him the chance to make good without sticking it to him. Its awful to have a mad neighbor if it can be avoided. The other issue that comes to my mind is what is he going to do to try to prevent this from happening again !

A really good neighbor will be concerned about this also.

smile.png

You can always tell him to go out and get the replacements himself, just tell him the age, breed, # of birds.

Also the materials for repairs and labour for doing it, he can oragnise all that and you only need to tell him what needs doing.

I can't see why you need to run around finding prices on your own time if it was his dog that caused the problem.... he should do the work, of course all replacements should be up to your satisfaction before any money is being paid (that is if you want to replace the birds).

Back
Top Bottom