dogs marking territory

Kimberly4403

Chirping
May 18, 2015
My male dog insists on weeing on the side of the chicken run i noticed he even managed to get it all over chickens waterer i change water multiple timesa day but will this hurt my chickens if they drink the water before i get to change it.. Im not home during the day some days to change it out.. Once the coop is finished ill be keeping there feed and water in the coop that way there is no way of him weeing on it.. Its really annoying cause the chicken wire on the temporary pen is rusting in the corner he wees on and its only been setup for 2 weeks :(

My male dog insists on weeing on the side of the chicken run i noticed he even managed to get it all over chickens waterer i change water multiple timesa day but will this hurt my chickens if they drink the water before i get to change it.. Im not home during the day some days to change it out.. Once the coop is finished ill be keeping there feed and water in the coop that way there is no way of him weeing on it.. Its really annoying cause the chicken wire on the temporary pen is rusting in the corner he wees on and its only been setup for 2 weeks
sad.png

If you catch him in the act, a firm "NO"! should work or remove him if necessary when you catch him. The no followed by removing him matter of factly to a crate for a few minutes might work wonders.
We have three male dogs who go only on growing things, the grass, plants and trees, and not the plants in the flower bed. Car tires, buildings (house, coops and sheds) are off limits. It's something enforced from day one when they arrived and it's never been a problem.

No our dog wees on everything car tires, outdoor furniture everything and its a darn pain my husband said its just what they do but i get anfry if i catch nug weeing on chicken coop and tell him off for it so hopefully it stops soon... In the mean time will it harm my chickens?

The weeing will not cause problems. ignore it. You might consider putting out a game camera. My dogs mark high traffic areas used by other predators. Most other predators including red fox which I think you have will not respect dog markings unless dog can back it up by running hard after fox.

My male dog loves peeing on the chicken run fencing; he just pees on whatever is new and exciting. It doesn't seem to be harmful to the chickens - my dog is killing the grass by the posts but that's about it. I've taken to leashing him and walking him past the run before letting him off the leash, and then I stand between the run and the rest of the yard. After that he'll usually go and try to pee on my other dog instead (go figure!). Overall he's gotten better about it but he's always been very responsive to verbal commands, so a loud "Nuh-uh!" or "Hey!" will break him away from the run area.

Last edited:
I got a puppy late this winter, hoping she'd be a chicken protector. That's an other story for an other day. But, I'm so glad to have that dog poo in the yard. I'm getting pretty good with my aim, flinging it from the pooper scooper into the woods around the garden. Hoping it will put the coons on notice that there is a big vicious dog here that would love to rip their heads off. (in reality, she's a 20# wuss!) As far as male dogs peeing on stuff... that's why I got a female! But... that doesn't help you solve that problem. In reality, he's marking that area as his, which is not a bad thing in light of predator issues. Can you lean some plywood up against that corner so he doesn't wee in the chicken waterer? I'm guessing you have a small coop and run??? Can you put some sort of barrier around your chicken run that will make it a nuisance for him to get to the run to pee on it? Perhaps just putting a few fiberglass posts with several strands of nylon twine around them. Perhaps an electric fence? He'd not pee on that more than once!

Back
Top Bottom