Dogs that are good with chickens?

I feel like it should be stated that almost every breed of dog will need training to learn not to bother chickens, even dogs with a low prey drive can hurt them accidentally.
This is not true. I think that 70% of dogs will need training not to bother the chickens, but both of our Pure English yellow Labs have never bothered the chickens. Comet as a puppy would try to play with them and bounce around them, but never chase them.

Your right though, most dogs will need training to leave chickens alone.

This is not true. I think that 70% of dogs will need training not to bother the chickens, but both of our Pure English yellow Labs have never bothered the chickens. Comet as a puppy would try to play with them and bounce around them, but never chase them.

Your right though, most dogs will need training to leave chickens alone.
That's why I say most, also why I pointed out most of this hinges on the individual personality. My puppy does the same thing as your Comet, he thinks everything is a playmate.
There's a Jack-A-Poo I grew up with, Pebbles, who has never been trained with chickens and is half terrier, a high energy dog with a high prey drive, who protects my chickens from hawks whenever she visits. Never worked with chickens, raised in a suburban home from a young age, but for some reason she's decided it's her job to protect my birds.
Dogs are more intelligent than we give them credit for, I feel they understand more than we realize.
I only point this out because it kills me when someone automatically says their dog doesn't get on with their chickens, and within thirty minutes of training they improve exponentially.
Anyway, I agree with you, mostly I believe it depends less on the breed and more on the dogs personality. Sorry for the long reply, I love talking about training and creating a relationship between our chickens and our dogs, I think it's one of the more interesting subjects involving chicken keeping.

Your best bet is to find a dog that has been in a working line. Any dog could potentially have a prey drive. I have 2 German Shepherds one does great and the other lights up like the dinner bell has been rang.
As far as a well behaved dog that all depends on training. I have a lab/catahula mix and she’s had 0 training she’s now 10yr old and doesn’t care about the chicks or chickens however upon first sight it was fun for her to run though the large flock at my MIL but after a day or two she was bored with them and ignored them. On the other hand Labs are bred to retrieve water fowl - so not necessarily a “low prey drive” but it depends on their lines.
It also depends on how early you introduce a dog to the chicks. A younger dog might see them as a play toy just as much as an older dog might see them as lunch. It really all depends on the exposure they are given and the training they might require.

Don't worry about breed. You're adopting. They know their dogs and will match you with a dog. These are rescues, they are not well bred pure breeds. They may not hold the same traits which makes them good with chickens
this, one thing to consider if you go to a shelter you can find an already adult dog that is already good with chickens and other animals, you will know for sure it doesn't drool, and often a lot of these dogs are trained quite a bit, getting a puppy and raising it up and training it to be well behaved is a lot harder then most people think. my dog is 100% mutt (1/8 American bull dog and 1/8 rat terrier the rest is unknown) and I made sure to introduce her to all sorts of other animals throughout her life, despite her being a terrier I can 100% trust her around chickens, I trusted her around my previous guinea pigs, other dogs small and large, I can even set a plate of human food on her back and she wont touch it.) if you go to a shelter you can have the shelter find you a dog that will be good around chickens, best thing to look for is a dog that is avoidant of chickens, you don't want one that pays any attention to them what so ever. (and on top of all that its easier to each an older dog to be good with something because they don't have puppy energy)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to adopt a dog who can be left with chickens, as well as a pretty long list of other factors to consider. Does anyone know any breeds that fit these? Also have just been informed by dad that he can't stand drooling haha. I know a lot of these are dependent on the individual dog - I will either be getting a puppy and training it well or adopting an adult dog that seems to fit these characteristics. Still, knowing which breeds fit the general criteria helps narrow things down a LOT.

I live in a small town in the countryside. Low traffic, low crime rates etc. Lots of nice trails nearby and a good dog friendly park down the road.

LOW PREY DRIVE (ESSENTIAL)

I have chickens that have full access to the back garden. I will try to supervise as much as possible and keep seperate where possible, but f I'm going to have this dog for 10+ years, it's bound to get out when I'm not looking at some point. I need to know I can trust the dog around them as well as a cat. It can't just TOLERATE the cat, they have to actually get along decently because I don't want to risk stressing her out. Appropriate measures to ensure they have separate "safe spaces" will be taken. Dog also needs to be trustworthy around young kids.

EXERCISE REQUIREMENTS

Right now, I go running for 30 minutes every day and can squeeze in a decent walk too between family members. We would probably also do a long (2-4 hours) walk once a week. One hour walk a day (+ run) is the absolute maximum for daily requirements. Would probably prefer less but an hour is doable. Also do not want a couch potato dog that we'll have to drag everywhere.

TRAINING

Would LOVE a highly intelligent dog. Must be moderately easy to train - obedience is a must.

BEHAVIOUR (these are preferences, not essential)

- A dog that loves to swim would be amazing. During summer we take weekly beach trips and regularly go paddleboarding.

- Dog will pretty much never be left home alone since my mum works from home.

- Some barking is tolerable but I have a neighbour who loves to complain, so nothing excessive.

- While it is important for the dog to be good with kids and NOT overly aggressive, a moderately protective dog would be good. I am a 5'2 female who runs alone, sometimes at night, and a protective dog would make me feel a lot safer.

So far I've looked at livestock guardian dogs, but they all seem to have huge exercise requirements. Does anyone have personal experience with them?

Also, I hear golden retrievers are great with cats & chickens but also that retrievers have a strong impulse to catch and kill? Same with vizslas and other pointer dogs. My dad LOVES vizslas but I've heard mixed things about their impulses. People seem to either say they're great with chickens, or one of the worst breeds.

Anyway, thanks so much to anyone who has read through this. If any breeds come to mind, or any advice for training, I'm all ears.

Issy x
How about a border collie?

I recommend Saint Bernards. They are really big and fluffy. My pup has never touched a chicken and could not hurt a fly. Big dogs don't chase after chickens. However, small dogs will. I had a Yorkshire terrier that ate my chickens. :(
Oh my! I'm so sorry. I agree about small dogs not being well suited for this. My Maltese wants to eat my chickens so I don't have them around each other. I tried letting him sniff my jerk rooster and he was a bit intimidated but still just wanted to eat them. He has to walk by my small flock of ducks every day for over a year now and I still keep his leash close to me knowing that he may bolt after them at any moment. My little girl Maltese is very timid around the chickens and ducks but that doesn't mean that wouldn't change if I wasn't there to guide her. I'm so sorry this happened to you. What makes it even more difficult is knowing that the dog isn't bad, so we're left dealing with more emotion.

My neighbor has basset hounds. They escaped their enclosure and came to visit my chickens. They wanted to play and could have easily killed several of my birds but they didn't (my chickens were terrified and didn't find their surprise visit fun at all, neither did I). Of course I do not trust these dogs around my flocks, but I believe this breed could be trained to behave around them. Of course I don't own one and can't say for sure, so I only mention this in case you find more information. They're sweet dogs around my daughter as well.

How about a border collie?
One thing about border collies is they are a really intelligent high strung breed, if OP goes for one, they will need a lot of exercise and a lot of training and they need a job, if you don't give them these, specially if you get a puppy, you run the risk of having a dog that tares things apart, digs, can get snappy or possibly bitey, could even run the risk of having an aggressive dog. They are a working line of dog that is bred to be on the go herding sheep and protecting the herd and being alert all day. just so OP is aware of the risks of getting a herding breed.

I’m biased but we’ve always had corgis. I’m no runner so I’m not sure how a corgi (with their short legs) would do keeping up with you. They do, however, have plenty of energy because they are working dogs—and they’re highly intelligent and trainable. Now there are certain things that are innate and barking is one. They don’t bark incessantly but they do “talk” to you like—“I’m so excited we’re going outside...hurry and get your shoes on Mom” or “throw the frisbee again!” But they can be trained not to. I saw a YouTube video of a guy who lived in a dorm and trained his corgi to whisper😂
As far as your main question...the chickens. Our corgi is a real gentleman around our chickens and our rabbits. He has gotten pecked a time or two but when we’re out with the chickens he wants to be with us, so he generally gives them some personal space. With the rabbits he will give up his bed for them and go to another spot—he’s actually kind of a wimp but we’re ok with that! I have seen a few corgis on YouTube that will actually help herd the chickens. Lisa Steele from Fresh Eggs Daily also has a corgi.
That’s just my 2 cents! I think you’ve gotten a lot of great suggestions. I probably would start with a puppy though—it would be easier to train and get accustomed to chickens than an adult. All the best!!

I heard these chickens are good with chickens but their pure breeds. According to google
  • Anatolian Shepherd.
  • Japanese Chin.
  • Old English Sheepdog.
  • Great Pyrenees.
  • Maremma Sheepdog.
  • Akbash.
  • Kuvasz.
  • Bichon Frise. This other dog is not from google but saymonds tend to be nice same with austrilan merel shepherds. But I recommend saymond dogs for your standards they are really sweet and I have one. Espically because I have 3 indoor cats and my saymond gets along with them. They even sleep togther. But for cats you have to indterdouce them but keeping them seperate but you have to do taht to any dog breed or pet you indterdouce to your cat. Or their may be porblems with your cat peeing in your floor to mark teritory.
We have found our Maremma, a very intelligent, gentle dog, hard to train. She is stubborn and independent. While supposed to be a livestock guardian, I'm sure she'd eat the chickens if given the chance. She likes to watch them in the run, but I couldn't let them free range in the same yard.

Back
Top Bottom