Dogs that are good with chickens?

Pics
3d.PNG

My dog Duke is an indoor dog. He doesn't like to be outside alone. He always shows disinterest in chickens, unless I pointed at one, which I would not do. I think an outside dog, that is unsupervised and left alone may chase, or kill chickens. Just like an unsupervised dog may dig.

I feel there are no bad dogs, (if I asked my dog, he would tell me pit bulls, but that is his opinion.) I feel bad for dogs when they get turned into the pound for ...barking, digging, peeing, even biting. But we are lucky to be home with him all the time. And he doesn't do any of those things.

One thing I want to mention, with border collies I gave a man 6 week old chicks, he had a pen for them, and the dog could not get in, but the man left the dog out while he was gone, and the dog ran circles round, and round the pen, and scared the chicks in the pen so bad, when he came back they were dead, even though the dog didn't bite them.

My dad LOVES vizslas
I have alot of dog experience. My experience with Vizslas is that they prey drive is the highest I've ever seen. You can train any dog to be good with Chickens but this breed will be incredibly challenging. That said, you said "adopt." If you find a Vizsla mix to adopt, you could be successful. Still, that DNA being in there makes it a crap shoot. I agree that a lab mix would be good, given your criteria.

Back
Top Bottom