Dogs!!!!

Oh...I'm so sorry. Its such a shock when these things happen. I know you feel terrible, but there may be solutions that will work for you embedded in all these comments.

I like the romote control training idea
big_smile.png

Quote:
Chicken wire. Made for keeping chickens in, and nothing out. Not only can a dog rip through chicken wire like it's yarn, so can coons, foxes, coyotes... My advice would be to either replace or reinforce your chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth. It may be too late for your poor chickens and your poor dog this time, but will help protect your future chickens from dogs and other animals, and your dogs from their instincts. A few strands of electric will also deter a determined animal.

The same thing happend to me. All our chickens were killed. and tell me if this is cruelty okay. but we are putting up an eletric fence around the coop so the coop so the dogs wont get in. but to keep the chicken from shocking themselves we'll put in snow fence. We have to do this so we can bring in income from are small egg selling company.

Most of the posts on this subject are due to the chicken owners also owning dogs that harm the chickens. I just received 4 lovely chickens. They were lovely and doing well for two days. Then the neighbor dogs (Huskeys) came through their fence and killed three of my 4 chickens. I guess one was hiding in the brush. Yes the dog owners came over and apologized, cleaned up the mess and told me they would fix the fence and replace my chickens, but I am in such a funk since this happened. My one left chicken is terrorized. Has anyone else had these issues. Dawn Jones

mine are housed on my parents property and their dogs got out and killed one and injured 4 others. needless to say the dogs are going to the pound in the morning. then last night something (expecting roaming dogs) got a hold of 2 of my other chickens that accidentally got left out of the coop and pulled one of my ee babies through the pen. i catch them they will more than likely be shot -__-

Dawn,
So very sad
sad.png
Unfortunately, there is no way to replace a life lost or to mitigate for the utter terror your birds went through before they died. Or the horror the remaining one witnessed. (give that bird Rescue Remedy right away and keep it warm and comfortbale and make sure it has friends immediately if not sooner, there must be chickens in shelter that need a home?) There are countless threads on BYC about this kind of thing and I urge you to read them. Look up 'horsejody' or me 'jjthink' - there are countless others who have posted.

hdowden, you need some seriously better predator protection for the birds, immediately - what's happened to them is over the top bad. You can't catch every pred - you have to pred proof,
JJ

they free range but people dont keep their dogs in their yards we have at least 3 roaming where ever they want at all times, they kill other animals as well even killed 2 of our cats. there is even a person up the road that shots any animal that comes in their yard mainly dogs and cats. these dogs have even gone after the horse and doing that they almost had their heads smashed in by the horse. the people around here do not care. all dogs were going anyways they just dug under the fence and ended up leaving a bit sooner than planned.

they free range but people dont keep their dogs in their yards we have at least 3 roaming where ever they want at all times, they kill other animals as well even killed 2 of our cats. there is even a person up the road that shots any animal that comes in their yard mainly dogs and cats. these dogs have even gone after the horse and doing that they almost had their heads smashed in by the horse. the people around here do not care. all dogs were going anyways they just dug under the fence and ended up leaving a bit sooner than planned.

I hear you. People who are irresponsible with their dogs make me crazy. There is such an epidemic of this and there needs to be a paradigm shift such that a critical mass of dog guardians come to feel a solemn responsibility by having in their care a predator or predators. I like dogs very much but I had a similar situation with various neighbors dogs running loose and while able to avoid any deaths, there were near death experiences for my birds (lots of vet visits, surgery, and round the clock care to get them to recover), so I finally had to fence in my dear feathered friends - I hated to restrict their joy and freedom - it made me and them sad - but I couldn't stand the idea of them being terrorized and torn to shreds alive. That's just me, and I know other folks have different tolerances. The dogs that roam by you - ugh!!!! - is there any way to catch them and then find them homes with responsible people? Easier said than done, I know. Breaks my heart that you lost cats and birds
sad.png

I hear you. People who are irresponsible with their dogs make me crazy. There is such an epidemic of this and there needs to be a paradigm shift such that a critical mass of dog guardians come to feel a solemn responsibility by having in their care a predator or predators. I like dogs very much but I had a similar situation with various neighbors dogs running loose and while able to avoid any deaths, there were near death experiences for my birds (lots of vet visits, surgery, and round the clock care to get them to recover), so I finally had to fence in my dear feathered friends - I hated to restrict their joy and freedom - it made me and them sad - but I couldn't stand the idea of them being terrorized and torn to shreds alive. That's just me, and I know other folks have different tolerances. The dogs that roam by you - ugh!!!! - is there any way to catch them and then find them homes with responsible people? Easier said than done, I know. Breaks my heart that you lost cats and birds
sad.png
no we can't catch them. they are fairly large dogs that i have seen almost get hit by cars and such (hunting do and 2 mixes of some sort maybe german shep mix and a rotti mix). i will be building breeding pens here soon but until then i was hoping to let them free range till i got that set up but i guess i cant do that. they can reach the ground in their coop and are bantams so i hope they will be alright having to stay penned up. the cats were great pest control out by the feed area to and kept them out of the house as well sweet little kitties they were.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom