Dogs!!!!

SisterChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Amarillo, TX
hit.gif
I hate my stupid dang dogs that think our birds are chew toys. We've lost almost our whole flock and about two minutes ago the stupid animals got to Crocket, the bird I nusred to health after the two other boys we have beat him up. I'm literally crying right now.
hit.gif

R.I.P
Crocket
hit.gif

I'm sorry for your birds.

And I am sorry to have to say this, but it's not that the dog's are stupid. It is incumbent upon dog guardians to keep their dogs from harming defenseless animals. As we know, dogs are predators, birds are prey and they must not be allowed to mix unless absolutely certain there will not be a problem.

JJ.

Quote:
x2

Totally agree DO NOT PUNISH YOUR DOGS FOR BEING DOGS!!!!!!!! It is in their nature to be preditors - sadly it is human nature to forget to shut gates up and lock pens.
I am sorry you are learning the hard way. You must keep Dogs and chickens seperate that is how it is. So please don't be cross with your dogs. Your dog did this so you are the one that allowed this to happen. Cry, be upset because it is a tough lesson to learn - cuddle your dogs and love them because you need to be a responsible loving owner to ALL your animals. Then go get yourself more chickens and DON'T LET YOUR DOGS IN WITH THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! GOd in his wisdom made loads of chickens for just such an occation. So that when you stupidly forget to keep Dogs and chickens apart - there are plenty more of them to start over!!!!!!!

Oesdog -
hugs.gif
Its hard we have Dogs and chickens too!

Sorry for your loses.If you are unable to train the dogs,and can not keep them from the flock,then I would rehome them.Either that or no birds. I would get birds over dogs,but that is just my preference. Best wishes!

One of my dogs killed four out of ten of my chickens just a few weeks ago. I was so upset, actually I still am sad, one was my favorite. She broke through the invisible fence so I know it was going to happen again. My other three dogs seem to be fine with the chickens. Luckily for me the gentleman from where I adopted her took her back, as she was only a year old. So I know she has a great home. It is hard for sure!

I see several problems here. 1 - your dogs have access to your chickens. 2 - apparently the dogs have not been trained to leave the chickens alone. 3 - oftentimes several dogs, even though they are tame, will act as a pack and chase and kill things. I'm sorry for your loss. But you are going to have to change some things if you want to have both dogs and chickens. Chickens run, flap and squawk. Dogs like to chase and play with things that run, flap and squawk. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd have a dog. But that's just me.

I have a dog that kills chickens. I do everything I can to make sure she doesn't have a chance to get them. That said, no one is perfect, a few times she has slipped out and gotten one before I could catch her. Although I was mad, I knew it was I that is to blame. Sorry this happened to you. Try to keep your dog seperate from the chickens, or she will most likely do it again.

Back
Top Bottom