Fox? Dog?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My cayenne has been getting attacked, she’s been alive both times but the first time she had a large wound on her front next to her crop almost under her wing. We had a new person move in three houses down with an unfenced dog and we have also had foxes in our neighborhood a year or two ago but not in this area. I’ve also had a 2-month old chick eaten by a cat before. The second attack she just had more feathers pulled and was way in the neighbors yard which she couldn’t do by herself based off all the snow we have but she didn’t have any feathers in that area. Our big dog was barking at something none stop this morning while we didn’t notice anything. We don’t have many other predators here other then birds but birds would get her back not her chest… the first time she was attacked she had a chunk of feathers with flesh connected to it. She’s very quiet now and her eye has been swollen since the first attack.

Any idea what it is? They free range, and they have for two years. The only issues I’ve had with predators have been birds and our own dog getting in a fight with new roosters or wandering dogs we have stopped from attacking the same hen over a year ago. I do have a picture of her wound and have been disinfecting and using a wound guard on it but it might be a bit too bloody for here.

She is likely to be trying to protect the flock, that was always more of cinnamons thing but she’s just as sassy
IMG_4734.jpeg

We do have potential of having raccoons around here actually, but what’s confusing me is the fact that it’s missing from her front… not yet back or tail where I’ve noticed most predators will grab

Looks like something is attacking.
After asking around I found out there have been ermines in our neighborhood, and based off how it’s attacking only from the front, eggs have been going missing, I don’t see prints and all my hens are still alive I believe it’s living in the barn taking eggs and only attacking when the hens attack it. I’m going to take my sister dog out to find it’s hole and set up a live trap to relocate it

After asking around I found out there have been ermines in our neighborhood, and based off how it’s attacking only from the front, eggs have been going missing, I don’t see prints and all my hens are still alive I believe it’s living in the barn taking eggs and only attacking when the hens attack it. I’m going to take my sister dog out to find it’s hole and set up a live trap to relocate it
Ermines are a small mink like critter. They are resilient for their size and very capable of killing chickens.

Back
Top Bottom