Dogwood sawfly larvae?

5crazies

Songster
7 Years
Dec 13, 2016
Northern IL
Our dogwood bush is being invaded by dogwood sawfly larvae. I’m going to clip the heavily covered branches.
Does anyone know if it would be safe to place them in the coop for the chickens to eat?
DE6CF47F-3C93-45DD-8B09-E46A24CDDA74.jpeg
A46FA051-9D66-4843-9577-6B95A5B7A506.jpeg

I just had hubs pull out my dogwood bush, the worms on mine were white fuzzy ones. My chickens didn’t even look at them. The darn things ate every pice of green on it, I was tired of not having a pretty flowering bush. So out it went. Darn chickens wouldn’t eat them and save the bush. Good luck

I just had hubs pull out my dogwood bush, the worms on mine were white fuzzy ones. My chickens didn’t even look at them. The darn things ate every pice of green on it, I was tired of not having a pretty flowering bush. So out it went. Darn chickens wouldn’t eat them and save the bush. Good luck

Thank you! I’m sorry you had to dig the bush up. I’m hoping to save mine but those suckers are moving fast! I’m not sure what to do with the branches once I cut them, which is why I thought of giving them to the chickens. I hope they will eat them but I want to make sure it’s safe first.

Okay so I put a small branch in there and the girls are more interested in the dogwood bush leaves than the larvae! A few have tried them but are not nearly as crazy as they go for other bugs.

Back
Top Bottom