Doing all that is noted, still have frostbit comb tips?

nikischicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
NE/Mid Ohio
I have a coup that is insulated but has ventilation. It has only gotten to about 15 at the lowest throughout the last week/week and a half. I have also put vasaline on the whole combs starting about sunday. Combs didnt get worse the night before last, but today it looks like one has gotten worse. What should I do? The tips look dark purple, not a lot but enough that its making me worry.

If their combs have already been frostbit, then they will be more susceptible to the cold. Also, they will stay that way probably all winter until that skin is sloughed off in the spring. All you can do is wait out the winter and keep the vaseline on them. Last winter, my roo got frostbit quite bad. come spring, the dead part fell of and he is fine now.

do you have a heatlamp in their coop?

Oh really? huh, well. From other posts it made it seem to be so serious. I will keep them all gooped up then. Im in Ohio so we are just starting the cold. It is their first winter, I dont know if that makes a difference. Thanks for the reply! I was thinking we would have to dub them, can you do that if they are frostbit already or is that a no no? Im not sure we will but it would be so much easier.

I have a roo with frostbite, too
sad.png
His comb is nearly black in places. He's in an insulated, well ventilated coop, too. It was getting down in the single digits at night the last few days and it was too much for him, I guess. I'm not doing the vaseline, I don't really think it helps.

Wierd thing is my OEGB roosters that sleep in the trees every night are just fine
roll.png
hmm.png

Curious...how big is your coop? I'm in North Ohio and I know how cold it's getting at night. I have only 4 hens but my coop is about 4x4x6, so I'm thinking they may be keeping warmer since they are in a smaller area. All is good with their combs so far....I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Actually, the vaseline does help if you start using it before they get frostbit. We dipped unexpectedly to -15°F overnight, and it went down to 0F in the coop. ALL of the rooster's combs were swollen and got frostbitten. The only one that wasn't seriously damaged was the one I used Vaseline on. (Think swimming the English Channel... slather them up!!)
But, you'd be surprised how much damage they can sustain, and recover without a mark.
smile.png

I'm from Ohio as well. I'm right on the lake, about as North as you can get. I've never had a problem with frostbite with any of my critters *crosses fingers/knocks on wood*

What does you coop look like? What breed of chicken? Also, how many birds do you have together?

If your birds have larger combs it will be difficult to keep them from getting frostbitten. If you have only a few birds in a large enclosure, it increases the risk of frostbite. If they are in a smaller area, the heat created by their bodies, will increase the temperature in their coop. I stuff my goat barn with straw and hay bales. It takes up the negative space and seems to keep the enclosure warmer.

I would keep applying the Vaseline till it warms up. good luck.

My coup is about 14X7 with a pitched roof, it was a really fancy playhouse and we added on the back to make it twice the size. Its all insulated with the thick stuff, even though I dont see the point with vents cracked, it has to be almost as cold as outside. I will try to post a pic.
I have 13 chickens. Noted what kind in the signature. The ee's are good cause they dont really have combs. They have 2x4's on their sides to roost on so they fully cover their feet.

Here is the outside. Back the 14 feet or whatever or so.
20090513_33.jpg

Heres inside, and it was not a good personal pic, so no, I dont usually have a swirly face! The back is where they roost.
PB150035.jpg

Back
Top Bottom