Doing the ducky deed?

kurtjackieprovost

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I apologize for the following strange question.
smack.gif

My drake is climbing on the backs of my females.
droolin.gif
They are 7 months old.
rant.gif
I know this is how they mate,
wink.png
but what I don't know, is he accomplishing what he has set out to do?
ep.gif
He climbs on her, she lifts her tail, he lowers his and then he hops off.
clap.gif
Is that it?
love.gif

No flowers or cigarettes?
hmm.png

Do I have fertile eggs now?
sickbyc.gif
Some how I thought all this takes place in the spring and maybe Ollie is just practicing.
hugs.gif

Inquiring minds want to know.
cool.png

Thanks.
p.s. I love smilies.
thumbsup.gif

That's pretty much it. Then, he does a victory lap and she washes up.

She may not lay to spring as they are often seasonal ovulaters.

Last edited:
Cook them and give them back??

Is that a healthy treat for them? Does it benefit them or do they just like the cooked egg?

I've never heard of anyone doing that!

I know there are people who do that and mix it with their other treats. I think the ducks like it. I hope someone else can answer that and say how they cook them, etc. I know ducks like to eat them, that's for sure.

That is how ducks copulate. It's impressive how much they can accomplish in such a short amount of time. It's even more impressive with chickens and other bird species where the male does not have a penis, but instead the male gets his backwards-facing vent/cloaca to meet with the hen's in a brief manuever called a cloacal kiss.

Male ducks do have a penis, and you may see it sometimes after he dismounts from the hen, it will look like a limp white noodle and will soon retract back into his body. It helps them transact business while they mate in the water, although ducks will also mate on dry land.

Sometimes it will seem the male is trying to drown the duck hen, he'll be astride her back and holding her head down below the water. But I have yet to see one expire that way. Sometimes a duck hen will mount another duck hen, it's their way of showing dominance and superiority.
old.gif
Keeping poultry is both fun AND educational!

Duck eggs are deeeeelicious, especially in doughs or batters. They can be used the same way as chicken eggs, but their richness will add extra flavor and loft.

Back
Top Bottom