1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

doing the squat is getting them in trouble.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smom1976, Oct 18, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Well I have 4 ladies that squat when you pat them on the back.. we are getting 3 eggs a day.. but anyway

my almost 2 year old loves the chickens.. he goes around petting them and can get a hold of the polish ones.. they are a little slower. But he picks them up nicely and then we help him put them down.. so he goes to pick up a BSL and she proceded to squat.. normally he can get to the bigger ones.. but she stayed so still.. he picked her right up and then he put her down she squated again.. it was a cycle that lasted about 4 rounds. poor girl.. I have to admit I did start feeling bad for her.. it was funny..

and just to let everyone know we do watch him with the chickens and dont let him hurt them at all..

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I think that is funny and really cute...He must have been in wonder that she didn't move when he picked her up and put her down.

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Get that poor hen a rooster...or a vibrator. :eek:

4. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Cute! I can just picture it.

It's funny you mention your polish and kids. Until 3 weeks ago, when we got two Silkies, my polish hens were the only ones my almost 2 y.o. daughter could catch and hold by herself. They seem to be a bit slower and once caught they are very docile and don't mind gentle little hands one bit. Their brothers are much faster and flightier though and stay clear of the kids.

5. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    that is how it usually goes at our house to.. The EE is the fastest she doesnt get caught except by the older kids. They sometimes outsmart her.. I wonder if she will squat.

A VIBRATOR .. :eek: for chickens.. [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How cute,, but it's kind of sad you have to put a disclaimer on there for your son.

7. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:just avoiding someone telling me that I need to ......... (fillin the blank) with my son. [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Just give the girl a back rub. It's really what most women want anyway!

9. orbirdman

orbirdman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    oregon
    my 18 month old daughter can out chicken wrangle her father. i think it has something to do with her size compared to me trying to pick them up. its great excercise for her running around after the birds, and its funny.

10. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    it IS so cute to see the little ones faces of acomplishment when they catch them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by