Dolly Parton attacked by a bobcat today

Nanili

Chirping
Feb 14, 2018
Our 2 year old Buff Orpington was almost carried off by a bobcat today, while my almost 2 year old pyrenees was chilling on the grass nearby, chewing a bone. Luckily my bf saw it jump over the fence and grab her through the kitchen window and chased the bobcat until it dropped Dolly. Dolly had a huge gash on her neck so he rushed her to the vet, where they put staples in and gave her meloxicam for 5 days and sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim for 14 days. We removed her from the flock and put her in the garage on cardboard (the vet said no dust or dirt should get near the cut). It should be between 46 and 53F at night this week. A few questions:
  1. Best way to give the medicine? My bf said the vet used butter and pushed it down her throat with her finger. That seems hard.
  2. Any thoughts on the enclosure? Is she going to be warm enough without her flock?
  3. Best treats/water supplements to get her healthy?
  4. The printout from the vet says we shouldn't eat her eggs for three weeks after the last medicine dose. My bf said the vet told him that is only if we are sensitive to it. I'm wary of eating them or giving them to the dog (that is, if she will even lay after the trauma) Experience with this?
  5. What's the best way to re-introduce her to the flock? She is supposed to be inside for 10 days
Thanks everyone!

Does she take treats? Maybe you can do the treat pill treat method? If you can break up the pills you might get her to take a bit at a time. If you can’t, the butter method seems hard but the medicine will save her life.

My chickens will grab and eat anything another chicken wants so you might want to bring in a couple of friends at medication time and convince her they are getting pills too.

Best wishes.

Does she take treats? Maybe you can do the treat pill treat method? If you can break up the pills you might get her to take a bit at a time. If you can’t, the butter method seems hard but the medicine will save her life.

My chickens will grab and eat anything another chicken wants so you might want to bring in a couple of friends at medication time and convince her they are getting pills too.

Best wishes.
Thanks, I'm worried about hurting her neck by having to hold her neck to push the pills down the throat. I'm going to try your treat method tomorrow. I'm a little nervous to bring other chickens into the mix right now.

Thanks, I'm worried about hurting her neck by having to hold her neck to push the pills down the throat. I'm going to try your treat method tomorrow. I'm a little nervous to bring other chickens into the mix right now.

I very much understand. These are ideas not absolutes. You know yourself and you know her. It’s taken me months to get my precious little runt chicken to take bits of glucosamine and chondroitin doggie treats. I know you’re taking good care of her!

Not sure. She’s alive and I did get the pills down and she took a little cheese, but she doesn’t seem to want to eat or drink much. She is staying in one place for a long time. But she pooped twice, so that’s a good sign. Thanks for checking. I’ll post pics later.

Not sure. She’s alive and I did get the pills down and she took a little cheese, but she doesn’t seem to want to eat or drink much. She is staying in one place for a long time. But she pooped twice, so that’s a good sign. Thanks for checking. I’ll post pics later.

Chickens can go five days with no food. You don’t want that for her necessarily but they can. She might still be a little shock you and needs to rest through it. :fl

Back
Top Bottom