Our 2 year old Buff Orpington was almost carried off by a bobcat today, while my almost 2 year old pyrenees was chilling on the grass nearby, chewing a bone. Luckily my bf saw it jump over the fence and grab her through the kitchen window and chased the bobcat until it dropped Dolly. Dolly had a huge gash on her neck so he rushed her to the vet, where they put staples in and gave her meloxicam for 5 days and sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim for 14 days. We removed her from the flock and put her in the garage on cardboard (the vet said no dust or dirt should get near the cut). It should be between 46 and 53F at night this week. A few questions:
- Best way to give the medicine? My bf said the vet used butter and pushed it down her throat with her finger. That seems hard.
- Any thoughts on the enclosure? Is she going to be warm enough without her flock?
- Best treats/water supplements to get her healthy?
- The printout from the vet says we shouldn't eat her eggs for three weeks after the last medicine dose. My bf said the vet told him that is only if we are sensitive to it. I'm wary of eating them or giving them to the dog (that is, if she will even lay after the trauma) Experience with this?
- What's the best way to re-introduce her to the flock? She is supposed to be inside for 10 days