Domestic Wild Ducks At Park During Winter

LondonKallie

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
Mansfield Texas
I know 2 different parks near me that have a bunch of domestic ducks, peking, some cayuga and other breeds I know aren't able to fly. Theres a TON of Muscovy ducks but I read online they can fly. Will these other breeds be okay during the winter if they cant fly away? If all the muscovy ducks fly away, the ones that cannot will they slowly be picked off by wildlife? I live in Texas, so of course we aren't going to drop into HUGE cold fronts, but as my ducks lay in their coop tonight with their heat lamps I cant help but wonder about these other poor ducks out there. What typically happens?

You could try to catch them and either keep them or eventually have them rehomed.
If you want to catch them I recommend setting up a gate like this and getting them all in it.
20201005_143207.jpg

You'll first have to earn their trust to lure them in.
Try to get as many in at once so you dont scare the rest away. Once they'll all in, close the gate, and use a large blanket or tarp to cover the top. Then use a large dog crate or some sort of carrier and push it up against the gate and open it. Toss some food into it. Once you get a few in, shut the gate and door. You can then have someone take the crate back home while someone else stays with the remaining ducks. Repeat the process until you have all the ducks safe.

Dont introduce them to your flock right away. You'll have to check to be sure they dont have any issues and fix thos to keep your own flock healthy, and of course to help the abandoned ducks.

You could try to catch them and either keep them or eventually have them rehomed.
If you want to catch them I recommend setting up a gate like this and getting them all in it.
View attachment 2387767
You'll first have to earn their trust to lure them in.
Try to get as many in at once so you dont scare the rest away. Once they'll all in, close the gate, and use a large blanket or tarp to cover the top. Then use a large dog crate or some sort of carrier and push it up against the gate and open it. Toss some food into it. Once you get a few in, shut the gate and door. You can then have someone take the crate back home while someone else stays with the remaining ducks. Repeat the process until you have all the ducks safe.

Dont introduce them to your flock right away. You'll have to check to be sure they dont have any issues and fix thos to keep your own flock healthy, and of course to help the abandoned ducks.
Very brilliant idea! Do we know if these ducks could for real be in danger during the winter months? If they don’t migrate and they’re out in the cold all winter can that be bad?

Ducks are well equipped to deal with cold. The problem that arises is that if their pond freezes they are very susceptible to predation. Also natural food is less plentiful so unless folks are feeding them they may starve. Before removing them, check to see that doing so is legal.

Back
Top Bottom