Dominant and recessive genes - feathers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Annabel, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Annabel

Annabel New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    Hello.

I have a book with this information in but for the life of me cannot find it! The internet is surprisingly useless but maybe I'm not looking hard enough, anyway...

I have a Silkie hen running with 3 cockerels - I have other hens don't worry she's not alone. The cockerels are a pure bred Silkie, and two Legbar crosses. I've seen them all with the hen but wondered if I hatch her eggs, will the Silkie feather be dominant or recessive?

Thank you!
    Annabel

2. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    following

I have a Dorking/Silkie mix (ok, I have 4 of them) and they have about 50/50 of regular feathers and SUPER soft feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If the Silkie was the bird who fertilized the eggs, then the offspring will be 100% Silkie feathered.

If the Legbar crosses fertilized the eggs, and they have no Silkie heritage, the chicks will be 100% flat feathered but all will carry the Silkie gene.

The gene for silkie feathering is a autosomal recessive, gene symbol h.

Breeding chart as follows:

Silkie (h/h) X Silkie (h/h) = 100% Silkie (h/h) offspring

Silkie (h/h) X Non Silkie (H/H) = 100% Carrier (H/h) offspring

Carrier (H/h) X Carrier (H/h) = 25% Silkie (h/h) offspring, 50% Carrier (H/h) offspring, 25% Non Silkie offspring

Silkie (h/h) X Carrier (H/h) = 75% Silkie (h/h) offspring, 25% Carrier (H/h) offspring

Carrier (H/h) X Non Silkie (H/H) = 50% Carrier (H/h) offspring, 50% Non Silkie (H/H) offspring

Non Silkie (H/H) X Non Silkie (H/H) = 100% Non Silkie (H/H) offspring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by