Dominant hen turned vicious--need advice on how to proceed.

Dville Chix

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2018
I will pose my question first, since the back story is a long one:
What should I do with my suddenly turned vicious dominant hen? Our rooster has also turned nasty--although that has been a longer, slower process. I am tempted to slaughter them both, but am reluctant to do so. The rooster is a good protector and we lost several hens to predators before bringing him on board. The hen is one of our best layers.

Now the back-story: We have a "primary flock" of 5 birds: 1 rooster, 4 hens-- all about 15 months old. We have a "secondary" flock of three more chickens (18-week hen and two 6 week-old chicks) in an isolation cage next to the main coop that are in the process of being integrated to the main flock. On top of that, we have three 1.5-week old chicks in a brood box inside the house. The lowest rank hen (an olive-egger) from the primary flock was broody. Just under 2 weeks ago we gave the broody OE 6 eggs to finish hatching that had been in an incubator for 18 days. She accepted them, but did such a terrible job as a first-time mom, that we had to evacuate the surviving 3 chicks to care for them indoors: 1 chick with a broken leg/wound infection, 1 chick suffering starvation/dehydration and 1 chick that is mostly ok that actually hatched after the OE abandoned the eggs for hours. As of three days ago two of the chicks were recovered enough to have supervised visits with mama. We would remove mama from the coop/pen and let her wander around nearby with the chicks. She would happily engage with the chicks and teach them how to scratch for food and hunt insects. After a while we would return mama to the coop/pen with the main flock and take the chicks back indoors. Two days ago the dominant hen of the main flock (a barrred rock) began harassing the OE. Much more aggressive than previously seen, and a goodly number of neck feathers lost by mama OE. We assumed that the lower ranking hen was probably still jazzed up on broody hormones and was not submitting to the dominant hen sufficiently. We decided that it would work itself out and left mama in the coop with the others. Yesterday the aggression seemed worse, but mama was submitting and trying to steer clear of the BR. Late in the afternoon I checked on the pen and found the OE missing a LOT more feathers and a bloody 1" hole in her neck down to the muscle. We removed the OE from the pen so that we could administer first aid to her. We also removed the aggressive BR from the pen for fear that she would attack other flockmates. After treating the OE's wounds we put her into the brooder with her three chicks and let her spend the night with them. We were afraid to return her to the flock right away since the others might pick at her wounds. Mama and the chicks are getting along well, even the broken-leg chick who hobbles around and sneaks under mama. The BR was kept outside the pen for the rest of the day yesterday and spent last night in the pen while the other flock members spent the night locked in the coop. At 5:30 am I removed the BR from the pen and put her in an enclosure inside our garage. After removing the BR, I let the rest of the main flock regain access to the pen. All this drama has the rooster jazzed up. He has occasionally been aggressive, but with two of his four hens missing from the flock he is just livid. His hackles went up as soon as I approached the pen and when I tried to service the water and food in the pen he attacked me. I know I can't let that pass, so I pulled him out and held him firmly in my arms for 10-15 minutes, but the unnerved hens were crying so much he never really calmed down.
In summary:
1 pissed off and aggressive rooster in the regular pen with 2 anxious mid-rank hens.
3 newbie birds in an isolation cage next to the main pen--Also very anxious.
1 nasty BR being held in isolation in the garage.
1 wounded OE in a broodbox with 3 chicks in varying states of health.

We are wondering if the BR is jealous of the OE and her chicks? We are now suspicious that the BR or rooster might be responsible for injuring the chick with the broken leg. We had assumed that the chick got stepped on, but the placement and nature of the fracture would be consistent with being grabbed in a beak and flung. The BR has a history of being pushy and dominant, but she has never inflicted bleeding wounds before. The rooster did not intervene to protect the OE inside the coop/pen, but he may have been doing that during their free-range time yesterday morning. I had noticed that the rooster had stuck close to the BR and had allowed the other three hens (including the OE) to range in a separate group. He usually keeps them all together.

Our current plan is to set up another isolation cage (buying another dog crate today) for the BR and to return the OE to the main flock in a day or two after her wounds scab over and we can be confident that there is no infection. Assuming things settle down, we will probably try to integrate the newbies in another week and re-integrate the BR a week after that. Not sure when the 3 baby chicks will get integrated.

Any comments on this plan? Any thoughts on what might have brought this on? Should we cull the aggressive birds now or wait to see if things settle down?

I am so very sorry to hear that your hen and chicks have been injured. I was frantic when one of my RIRs broke her leg a couple of months ago! The anxiety was unbelievable trying to get her back with the flock after three weeks of being separated with a splint on her leg! But our roo helped immensely! Maybe you need a new roo? Our roo would have never tolerated one of our hens doing that much damage to one of the other girls! Our BR hens are highly curious and have a tendency to be aggressive as well but our roo keeps them in line!

I hope all your chicks heal and you have peace in your coop again.

... What should I do with my suddenly turned vicious dominant hen?...

Your dominant hen has not turned vicious, nasty, gnarly, or anything else.

What has changed is that your dominant hen has more or stronger competition now and she is acting out in a way that hens have acted for Millennia. She is only trying to protect her position in the flock.

Last edited:
I have am having the same issues with my one hen and a 8 week old baby Brahma. My Easter eggers pecked the brahmas head bad. I don't know if she is going to make it through the night. I don't know what do to with my Easter egger that did this to her. She doesn't do this to my 3 month old Easter egger just the Brahma. I have read things from they don't like the colors to the chickens, to maybe you kill the hen because she won't go back to being nice to she's protecting her current flock. I have no idea what do to either.

How long was your OE absent from the flock when you gave her eggs to sit?
Removing a bird for 3 days or more without the flock being able to see them can result in the pecking order becoming different.
When you put her back, she had to re-establish herself in the flock.
Removing the BR because you were afraid she’d be aggressive with the others may have been a mistake. She may have been fine.
The roo is upset because he’s missing hens...understandably.
I would definitely work on integrating your BR and OE back into the flock before even considering the younger ones.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

I know the BR was asserting her dominance, but she had never gone so far as to actually draw blood before, and the rooster did not intervene. I thought roosters were supposed to keep that sort of thing from getting out of hand?

It has been a week since the OE was wounded. She is healing nicely, but (for better or worse) we have kept her in the house with the chicks. We bring her outside every day to spend some time with the flock so that she remains a member. She was the lowest rank hen already, so it isn't really an issue that she will be low rank when she fully returns. We had tried to return her full time, but she kept trying to get back in the house to rejoin the chicks and cried constantly until we reunited her with them. I was really surprised when I found her halfway up a full flight of stairs in her journey to get into the house! Two of the chicks are still too weak/small to integrate to the flock, so they stay in the brooder for now.

It occurred to us that it was possible that the rooster was actually the one who wounded the OE (the bite marks seem too big for the BR?), so we decided to isolate him too (more drama/upheaval). Fortunately the mid-rank hens had already become accustomed to the newbie chickens, so we reconfigured the flock as follows:

3 newbie birds with the 2 "old" mid-rank hens in the main pen/coop.
1 aggressive rooster in an isolation cage 3 feet from main pen.
1 aggressive BR in isolation cage 3 feet from main pen and 6 feet from rooster.
1 wounded OE in a broodbox with 3 chicks in varying states of health.

The newbies are still timid with the 2 mid-rank hens (both speckled sussex) but are being tolerated. The SS hens assert their rank with stern looks and occasional rushes, but no pecking and no mussed feathers. The newbies and the SS simply trade off which group is in the pen versus who is in the coop. They all sleep in the coop at night together, but at opposite ends. The rooster has calmed a bit, and we have adopted a policy that he may not free-range until he is held in someone's arms for a minimum of 5 minutes (count to 300) before he is free to move about. If he struggles or pecks then the count is reset to zero. He is beginning to figure out that he is best off not fighting us. However, we are still watching him carefully and he may still end up as dinner. The aggressive BR has only been allowed to free range with the rooster. When she is out she goes up to the wire of the main run and chats with the SS hens. She clearly is missing their company. Overall things are more calm, but now we have to figure out how to eventually re-integrate everybody! The rooster is ok with the newbies, but the BR and the OE are not. The OE is particularly aggressive towards the newbies whenever we bring her out for her visits. This is going to take a lot of time. Ugh! We have the "isolation" pens close enough so that everyone can still see/hear eachother--hopefully that will ease re-integration.

I am still looking for advice on how to prevent this in the future, and any thoughts on how to smooth the complicated integration of the flock would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom