Dominant pullet keeping others off the roost.

When I over bond to chickens, which is easy to realize, they will come to me at roosting time. If I stand very still for a while or sit in a chair, then the entire brood will attempt to roost on me. The risk of that is maintained until they approach adulthood. Therefore at roosting time with such broods I stay clear. In my setting I can sometimes bond broods to an old rooster and they will follow him instead. The rooster needs to be into using roost you desire. Roosters can be used for more than making eggs hatch and alerting flock to a predators approach.

I am so pleased that you worked it out Bruster Rooster
clap.gif

I am so pleased that you worked it out Bruster Rooster
clap.gif

Thank you for your concern & thanks to all who were willing to assist me in resolving this problem. Some problems that seem small can sure throw you for a loop sometimes. I guess my little White Leghorn Rooster & 3 pullets (5 weeks older than these) being so easy with the roosting process, kinda spoiled me. On the first day I put them in their new coop & run, I locked them up early, but decided to put them up later the next day. At dusk I went out & all of them were already on the roost, with no fussing. The next day my wife & I went out at dusk to watch them. That smart little rooster was herding the pullets into the coop. When one of them came back out, he chased her back in. After all were in, he came back out 3 more times to check around the run & under the coop to make sure all were in. I told my wife, "he must not be able to count." For some things, a good rooster is sure worth having.

Back
Top Bottom