Dominicker or Australorp roo????

Australorps82

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
I'm a little concerned that what I ordered from MM hatchery is not what I received. I ordered 13 female black australorps and 2 males, however, I have had a couple of co-workers to tell me that he is a dominicker. I contacted MM and they told me he would eventually turn solid black. He is 2 months old. What do y'all think?? Both Roos are identical.

Thanks Whittni! Is it common for MM to send something other than what I ordered?? I was really wanting to have full blooded Black Australorps? Should I contact MM for a refund or replacement?

They should refund you when you call. It is common for most hatcheries to send extra males for warmth with orders and so they don't have to euthanize excess male chicks. The chicks of all breeds, even your australorps all look the same, and even the egg colors are the same. It could have been an honest mistake. Good luck, Australorp roosters are gorgeous so I hope you can find a boy or two.

I agree, send them a picture if they need it. That bird is a barred male, he will never turn solid black.

Just as a fyi for future reference, a barred chick will have a white or cream head spot at hatch. If you're not supposed to have a barred or cuckoo bird, and one has a white head spot, you got the wrong bird.

They only sent one extra chick which was a silver/gray dorking. I was charged for the two barred Roos. I really wanted pure breed australorps.

I plan to call MM tomorrow and see what there course of action will be. I don't know why I am so fixated on having pure breed chickens, but I am. I know it could have been an honest mistake, I just hope that we can come to an agreement. The barred roo is very pretty, but so are the australorp hens and I would like to hatch more of them. Thanks for the responses and I will keep you all informed on what MM tells me.

Donrae, I read your signature and I hope all goes well with your treatments. My family and I will be praying for you and yours. Godbless!!!

Well, I contacted MM this morning and they apologized for the mistake and requested photos of both roos. They told me once they received the photos that they would be in contact with me.

Thank you for the prayers!

You don't have to feel bad about being "fixated on having pure breed chickens". They're your birds and you should get what you ordered. I've heard MM usually makes it right, it can just be a pain because if they're going to ship you more chicks, you need to have a minimum for warmth. Of course, the enabler in me says this is a prime time to just get more chicks!

If no one had been focused on having birds that were identical, we wouldn't have any breeds at all!

I received an email back from MM and they told me they would credit my account for the price of the two roos and when I reordered they would throw in two free roos. The only downside is I have to order a minimum of 15 chicks and I wasn't really wanting that many... But hey I may get a few more any way. Thanks for all the input folks!!

Back
Top Bottom