Dominique/Brown Leghorn Cross

gwhipps

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the BYC and this is my first post. My question is what do you get if you cross a Dominique and a Brown Leghorn and does it matter or change with which Rooster you use. Any pictures? Thanks to all.

Hello and WELCOME TO BYC !!!

When dealling with dominiques or any barred breed, yes it does matter which parent is which as to what the out come would be.

If you bred a non barred roo ( Brown Leghorn in your case) to a barred hen ( Dominique in your case) the you would get sexlinked chicks that you would be able to sex by color when they hatch. Females will be solid black with maybe some red in the face and will be that color when he grow up. Males will be black with a white spot on their head and will be barred when they grow up.

If you crossed the other way around with a Barred father on a nonbarred monther, then all of the chicks would be barred.

IF you did a little work over a few generations if you wanted to, you could get some crele colored birds from crossing those two breeds then breeding the barred offspring back to the brown leghorns.

This of interest to me as well. As I understand it, when dam is dominique female offspring will be black and male offspring barred with browns and reds therefore crele. The reciprical cross were sire is dominique, all offspring will all be barred with browns and reds therefore crele.

I am going to be doing the female dominique by male of following this coming spring: crele American game, brown red American game, California grey, and barred American Holland. I hope the crele game is homozygous for the barred gene so all pullets from that sire will be crele.

The barred gene is on the Z (default male coding) chromosome. The base color for dominique is black but brown / red pigment coming from other breeds overrides.

Quote:
Sound very cool, but I'm still a little undecided on crele at the moment. So I'll most likely go for the sex link deal. Thanks. Any pics of this crele?

Quote:
Maybe I'll try this cross both ways. Thanks for the help and good luck in the spring.

Quote:
You wouldnt get the true Creles in the first cross, just leaky barred birds. You have to work back towards the red duckwing pattern before you can get your true crele and it would be the same with crossing the crele roo the barred hens, you would just get leaky barreds, not true crele in the first cross.

Here is one of Boggy Bottom Bantams pics of his F1 cross towards makeing crele dAnvers, I believe he said the roo was the cuckoo dAnver and the hen was the BBred dAnver in this particular one but the roos would be the same either way. But you can see here in the first generation, its not true crele yet, just leaky barring.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/BoggyBottomBantams/Chickens/IMG_2604.jpg

Quote:
Here's a link to some pics of crele-colored birds: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/oegbantams.htm#crele

BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
You wouldnt get the true Creles in the first cross, just leaky barred birds. You have to work back towards the red duckwing pattern before you can get your true crele and it would be the same with crossing the crele roo the barred hens, you would just get leaky barreds, not true crele in the first cross.

Here is one of Boggy Bottom Bantams pics of his F1 cross towards makeing crele dAnvers, I believe he said the roo was the cuckoo dAnver and the hen was the BBred dAnver in this particular one but the roos would be the same either way. But you can see here in the first generation, its not true crele yet, just leaky barring.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/BoggyBottomBantams/Chickens/IMG_2604.jpg

So I just keep breeding the offspring to brown leghorn?

I understand now, thanks. My definition of crele was not considering the duckwing character. The leaky barred pattern seems typical of my California greys although they breed true. A fellow I confer with uses term "smokey" instead of "leaky" which is problem he predicted would be first to tackle as cuckoo pattern restored.​

Back
Top Bottom