Dominique Or Barred Rock????

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
How do you tell the difference between a dominique hen and a barred rock hen?
idunno.gif

The main thing I have noticed btwn my dominiques and barred rock besides the combs is that the dominique is white with black barring where the barred rock is black with white barring...does that makes sense?

Last edited:
Quote:
No Barring is the same no matter the breeds they are black with barring, the barring isnt really white, it is diluted black.

Technically Barred Rocks should have nice clean narrow barring, Single comb, slow feathering and overall bigger in size where a Dominique will have a wider more irregular barring (a somewhat cuckoo pattern), Rose comb, faster feathering and smaller in build than the Barred Rock.

Now with that said in hatchery stock there will be little to no difference between the two breeds other than the comb...

I also believe that both breeds would/should be a Black bird with White Barring.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks one and all for the replys. My Doms and Br are only 3 weeks old and they seem to all look alike right now. I am just curious has to what is what because I need more Br to cross with my R.i.r roo to get sex-links. The good thing is the eggs were all given to me so I can't complain for what I get, just hoping and praying for more Br
fl.gif
but will be thankful for whatever God has given me.
Thanks again and God bless!

Thommiekins,
If you have time to take pics and can post them here for me I would greatly appreciate! Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

I have both breeds living together. Barred Rocks are "blacker" for lack of a better term while the Dominiques are "grayer" or a lighter shade at least. Also, the rocks have nearly no comb to speak of comparitively. The doms combs are quite a bit larger and redder. Come on over and I will introduce you. You could pick em out blindfolded after you see em together once.

Back
Top Bottom