Dominique Thread!

Pics
I like the reduced number of tubercles in combs. The bright yellow color of legs, especially in females, and apparent good feet are characters I am looking for. Legs to me a good indicator of soundness. Some of appearance a function of rearing conditions and nutrition but genetics can not be ignored.

Quote:
The first bird has avery nice head but he's long in the back & carries his tail low. The second bird has very nice type & colouring but his wattles are poorly formed & he's almost crow headed. I always felt if I could just reassemble one out of the parts from 2 or 3 I could make some great birds.

Thank you for the replys. I bet if I picked up one of 03-2's hens he would raise that tail up to a 45 degree angle! LOL! He is long in the back and he does carry his tail down a tad. He is going to be breeding for females. As for 02-2 cock he was turning his head when the photo was taken and was not fully upright. I would cull for such a rare trait in his wattles. You are so correct, getting birds to the standard is a tough task. It is enjoyable and well worth the effort for such a historic bird. Answering the other replys, I did my homework before starting. I was lucky enough to start out with great stock, Hatcheries and private breeders. the gentleman I bought from is no longer selling standard birds. This is the only breed that I work with. My birds are on the ground constantly(open range), I lose some hens during the winter months to predators but it is worth it. No commercial feeds here. scratches are oats or wheat. No corn. Gamebird layer is used and along with open range the birds stay clean and healthy looking. (Mark Fields recomendation) Reading thru the other posts and bieng a member of the American Dominique club I have not heard anything but positive of Mike Stichlers birds. I would recomend that anyone interested in genetic preservation, to buy his stock. Also join the club! support the breed. I work with the 4-H to help get the story out on how significant and important these birds were and still are today. I really enjoy this breed alot, for the historical aspect, broodiness, docile natured and the great ability to take care of itself. Great to see others doing the same. Enjoy!

Am really loving this breed. I find that mine is the most outgoing in the flock.
Here's Maggie when she was just over a day old

n2d9mr.jpg

Another at a few weeks
2znyik5.jpg

Maggie now
3126x3l.jpg

I am a club member (recent addition) as well. For the purpose of preserving breed, broodstock should be acquired from multiple sources. If everyone gets their founding stock from only one supplier, then no matter how good much of the genetic variation of the breed will be lost. Several other breeders have good stock as well. Fold those into flock as well to keep genes that might be needed later. I also have a line derived from Mark Stichler. They are good for many traits and other lines can be used to complement. I am inclined to push this point because I work with genetics of breeding populations for a living and constantly battle the process of inbreeding associated with lines / populations that are too small or founded with too few individuals.

Quote:
I just love bird # 1. He is so light, but the barring is even throughout - even in the tail - is this the same bird that you posted about a month ago?

It's great to have an experienced judge (NYREDS) comment and give pointers - it really helps everyone, and for those who submit pictures of their birds for evaluation, it really is helpful to all of us. So thanks for sharing!

It's me again, sorry..
hide.gif

One thing that I love to do is find photos of Dominques and attempt to evaluate. The American Dominique website has a lot of great photos and evaluations. Can anyone provide feedback on these two that I found (you've probably seen them before):

From Cackle Hatchery: Look at that comb-it's so upright! And would you say that the back on this one is the appropriate length? He has nice color as well.

36723_dominique_rooster_std.jpg

Feathersite: This one has such a trim comb, but here his tail is a little lower than 45 degrees... What about his back - is it too long?

36723_dominiquecock.jpg

Does anyone else have photos to share?

Here are two of our cockerels they are up for culling.

Please provide info on what you see:

This one is just a light weight bird. His comb has a problem in that it is upturned, but it is flat, rather than barrel shaped. Kind of falls over a bit too! His tail feathers have a lot of white as well... And his back - it's way too long...

36723_img_2377.jpg

This one's s tail is up too high and his back is flat: Too bad, because his color is relatively uniform. His comb? I have no idea....

36723_b.jpg

Last edited:
Gallusfarm,

Thank you for taking the initiative and posting the evaluation pictures. Most of us are in need of exposure to various good and bad points of the breed. Good work!

IMHO, you have done a good job evaluating these birds. Here are the things I wondered about that weren't mentioned.

Cackle Hatchery - By far the best bird. As you mentioned, his comb needs improvement. Wondered if it's the lighting, but the eye color is incorrect.

Feathersite - Long back with low tail. Could the breast be fuller or it it me?

#3 - Angular looking, low tail, comb needs improvement (too large and too high/many protrusions), wings carried too low (hard to see), uneven color.

#4 - Lacking in body depth, long legs, slightly angular.

I have not developed a good eye for faults. I only know a nice looking bird when I see it. So if I have misevaluated any of these birds, consider my ability or lack thereof.

Let's keep this thread interesting and a learning place for all.

Back
Top Bottom