Dominique Thread!

You'll still need to get them from a local breeder or order them from a hatchery. They're not that common... at least from where I'm from. Good luck with your search. I've gotten hatchery birds 2 years in a row, (this year only b/c I needed to use a credit from last year's hatchery mess up) Both times, I found them to be very delicate compared to other breeds. I'm hoping and guessing that breeder stock is much more robust. I can tell you from my limited experience (raised 3 roos last spring) that this breed is wonderful to work with: they forage well, are not aggressive, and I love the rose combs and barred pattern. An added bonus is that the chicks are easy to sex at hatch, and if you place a solid colored roo over a Dom hen, you'll get sex linked chicks. What's not to like???????? I've been advocating for this breed in my state, and finally, this year several folks are bringing in flocks, one from breeder eggs, and an other from (I think) a hatchery. Hopefully, from this meager beginning in the state of Maine, we'll get a good population of strong Doms going.

Very interested in hatching some Dominiques under my broody hen. We were told they are Dominiques but I am doubting it now. Either way, want to hatch some Dominiques :)

Last edited:
You'll still need to get them from a local breeder or order them from a hatchery.  They're not that common... at least from where I'm from.  Good luck with your search.  I've gotten hatchery birds 2 years in a row,  (this year only b/c I needed to use a credit from last year's hatchery mess up)  Both times, I found them to be very delicate compared to other breeds.  I'm hoping and guessing that breeder stock is much more robust.  I can tell you from my limited experience (raised 3 roos last spring) that this breed is wonderful to work with:  they forage well, are not aggressive, and I love the rose combs and barred pattern.  An added bonus is that the chicks are easy to sex at hatch, and if you place a solid colored roo over a Dom hen, you'll get sex linked chicks.  What's not to like????????  I've been advocating for this breed in my state, and finally, this year several folks are bringing in flocks, one from breeder eggs, and an other from (I think) a hatchery.  Hopefully, from this meager beginning in the state of Maine, we'll get a good population of strong Doms going.
2665.png
2665.png

Yes I'm quite excited to be a part of this growth. Such a beautiful breed!!!

I have 2 of my chicks that after a day or 2 old. Their achilles tendon slipped or at least I think that is what is wrong after searching on the internet. One started holding its leg up and out to the side and then the next day another did it. I dont know what could have caused it. I splinted them with a pop straw strait back. How long do I need to leave the splint on?

Very interested in hatching some Dominiques under my broody hen. We were told they are Dominiques but I am doubting it now. Either way, want to hatch some Dominiques :)
I think they look pretty good. @domfarm i can't help you with that, I have never had that problem. But, I think I read that they fix quickly??

Having been bitten by the chicken bug, I've taken hundreds of pictures of our chickens since they arrived March 3. When I went to find a picture to post of my two Dominiques, I was surprised to find I didn't have very many to choose from. Very odd considering they are a striking bird. After an afternoon trying to photograph them, I realized why. While they are not swift and don't dart about, they are in constant motion. Almost every picture I have is blurry. I did manage to get one or two 'stills'

A rare shot with both together

And a baby picture

Last edited:
Just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I live in PA. We got our first four hens from a local person. They are Dominiques and we love them. We hope to breed them and make a whole flock of Dominiques down the road. We just joined the Dominique group and hope to win the incubator LOL!

Here is our a close up of one of our girls the day they came home:

We can't wait to learn more from you all.

Back
Top Bottom