Dominique Thread!

A bit of cuteness is always a good thing. And congratulations on your next addiction.
big_smile.png

This year alone I hatched out and raised nearly 150 chicks...on pine shavings. Never had a problem.

Ditto that, I've only ever raised chicks on pine shavings, they've never tried to eat it and they love to scratch in it. I had a problem once with a tiny chick trying to eat an entire Japanese beetle once, THAT sure got stuck in her throat, heh. I had to come to her rescue with a pair of tweezers. So chicks DO try to swallow stuff way too big for them sometimes, but I've never had them be interested in eating the pine shavings.

I think the concern about shavings is highly over-rated. When you p/u day olds at the feed store, they're always on shavings. Broody hen is not concerned about what kind of bedding her hatchlings are on. I can see the benefit of starting out with newspaper, only b/c it helps chicks to differentiate their starter crumble, but if they're on shavings, I'd put a shoe box lid or something similar in for the first day, and put some crumble on that, as well as in their feeder.

I think the concern about shavings is highly over-rated. When you p/u day olds at the feed store, they're always on shavings. Broody hen is not concerned about what kind of bedding her hatchlings are on. I can see the benefit of starting out with newspaper, only b/c it helps chicks to differentiate their starter crumble, but if they're on shavings, I'd put a shoe box lid or something similar in for the first day, and put some crumble on that, as well as in their feeder.

I put pine shavings down, and cover them with paper towels for the first two or three days until they figure out the concept of "food" and the non-slippery flooring prevents spraddle leg.

I also employ and old poultry farmer's trick - all baby chickes receive only water and chick scratch on the first day. On the second day I set up a feeder with chick starter just a little farther from the electric hen (a small brooder heater that I use). The chicks find the starter and prefer it to the chick scratch. Since I started using the technique I have not seen a single case of pasting. I leave the chick scratch in until it is all eaten, as long as the chicks have found the starter and demonstrate the usual preference for starter over chick scratch.

After much digging through my photos I've finally found this pic of my two Dominiques with my "golden buff" sex link I'm showing the one on the far right
If you have chosen her to be show-worthy post another individual photo of her. She's worth a more photogenic pose - Smiles.

Back
Top Bottom