Dominique Thread!

does anyone know of any breeders that will ship chicks? if not has anyone had any Dominique chicks from Stromberg hatchery?

my local feed store has some from there but I doubt how "true to breed" hatchery chicks are.

any help would be appreciated.
Junior

well, on chicks, even at hatch, you can tell if they have single combs or rose combs...

if all of the chicks have rose combs, then you have a good chance of them being Dominique-like

does anyone know of any breeders that will ship chicks? if not has anyone had any Dominique chicks from Stromberg hatchery?

my local feed store has some from there but I doubt how "true to breed" hatchery chicks are.

Junior

Hi Junior -
As I mentioned in Post # 3498 and # 3499 above those are options. I happened to get a Dom chick from my local feed store and they ordered their chicks from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. I liked my little Dom but we did lose her at 3 weeks old from a severe sudden seizure - which happens when chicks are young and you never know why. I think it was just a fluke as I've lost chicks from private breeders as well. Anyway, Cackle Hatchery has an improvement project with their Doms and they do have a City/Town special of 3, 5, and/or 10 chicks if you wanted to try their Doms (Mark is working w/Cackle to improve Cackle's Doms). GL!

Junior

Here are some. I got some from them a few years ago. All are still well and good layers:

http://www.chickensforbackyards.com/Dominique-115.htm

Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

I think I'll go ahead and get those the feed store has. they have had them for about 2 1/2 weeks and I think they will let them go for a deal if I take all 25 of them so they can get another batch of a different breed......for some reason the Dominique's didn't sell as good as the RIR did and they want rid of them.

I can try to get a batch of Dominique's from a breeder and compare the two.
big_smile.png
speaking of which has anyone ever gotten Dom's from Duane Urch?

Thanks again,
Junior

if you search through this thread, someone posted photos of birds he got from Urch... right when he got them, and then at maybe a couple of months old.

Unfortunately, I don't remember pictures of the birds as adults.

Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

I think I'll go ahead and get those the feed store has. they have had them for about 2 1/2 weeks and I think they will let them go for a deal if I take all 25 of them so they can get another batch of a different breed......for some reason the Dominique's didn't sell as good as the RIR did and they want rid of them.

I can try to get a batch of Dominique's from a breeder and compare the two.
big_smile.png
speaking of which has anyone ever gotten Dom's from Duane Urch?

Thanks again,
Junior

Wow - 25 Dom chicks! I'm jealous. People don't realize the Doms are every bit if not better than BRs. Takes time for people to realize the best breeds. It always seems only the RIRs, BRs, and EEs sell in the feed or pet stores. If people only knew how great the Doms are (like yourself) they'd be gone in a second! Be absolutely certain it is Doms you are truly buying and not accidentally mislabeled BRs. I've had both breeds and it's hard to tell them apart when chicks.

How'd you get in touch with Urch? I didn't know they were still in business.

Sylvester017,I found a thread on here where someone asked about Urch's 2015 price list and got the phone number from it.......507-451-6782

if I get the feed store chicks & Urch's I'll have 40-50 Dom chicks running around
lol.png
.....the chicks at the feed store looked like they had rose combs to me but, I'm no expert.

Alaskan, I'm 100 pages into this thread 250+ to go......
ep.gif

again thanks to everyone for the help/advice.

Last edited:
Sylvester017,I found a thread on here where someone asked about Urch's 2015 price list and got the phone number from it.......507-451-6782

if I get the feed store chicks & Urch's I'll have 40-50 Dom chicks running around
lol.png
.....the chicks at the feed store looked like they had rose combs to me but, I'm no expert.

Alaskan, I'm 100 pages into this thread 250+ to go......
ep.gif

again thanks to everyone for the help/advice.

unfortunately, some of the best photos are from @centrarchid his Dominique are in my opinion pretty awesome, but he takes his photos down after awhile, so that people wont steal them off of the internet.

As to comb types:

rose comb on a young cockerel and pullet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/4687101/a/6132758/uploads/

rose comb on chicks

tiny single comb on tiny chick

no idea if those links will work
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom