Dominique Thread!

I love my Doms. McMurray stock. First year, they messed up and sent me 3 roos. One had VitaminE encephalopathy. I don't have much to say about those roos, b/c I had 7 roos in that starter flock and 5 pullets. Bad numbers all around, and bad rooster drama. But, if I'd have kept a roo, it would have been a Dom, and I'm sure he'd have been fine. Last year, I got 3 Dom pullets from MMc. They're lovely birds, very personable. Not very big, lay a small egg, but they are very sweet. I'd love to get some breeder quality eggs some time.

My dominques are quickly becoming my favorite chickens in my flock. As chicks they slept in my hands and now as "teen" chickens they are the first to great me and love being carried around. When Im crouched down gardening they sit under me. They are very sweet bird. I have three Rita, Genevieve, and Pearl. Along with 12 other chicks of different breeds.

I am a little upset that my 5 week old Dominique has not wanted an thing to do with me or my family. I am waiting on 3 more to hatch. I will try to hold them more so this does not happen again.

Doms are a bit independent as chicks. Don't try to completely envelope them in your hand or they'll scream bloody murder. We let our chick sit in our open hand and she'd softly chirp but if the hand closed over her she screamed. Let them come to you and explore your clothes, rings, buttons, hair, eyeglasses while you are sitting on the floor - otherwise they'll take a flying jump off a desk or table and might get hurt. We had a huge old down blanket we spread out on the floor in case our chick wanted to jump (and they will!).

Can anyone on this thread point me to a breeder of Dominiques that selects for egg production and friendly roosters?
Thanks

I read somewhere several pages ago on this thread where a breeder was selecting their Dominiques for higher egg production. If you read the posts in reverse on this thread you will come across the breeder discussing their project. Sometimes you have to be pro-active reading these posts to find the info you're looking for. Sorry I don't remember the breeder's name but they're on this thread somewhere!

WSmith, from Colorado kept egg and weather records, ithink that he has that posted somewhere. Maybe on another place...facebook?

I imagine there are others that will have more info, than I have.

Hi everyone! I have one Dominique named puddles, and she is very friendly and likes the water

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom