Dominique Thread!

Yeah it was -30 that day. I think the wind chill factor was around -56. They have no heat or insulation in their coop. They do have windows on their run so wind, snow, rain etc can't get in.

It's insane how hardy this breed is... I've even caught them out "sun-bathing" on a sunny -18 degree day!

Yeah it was -30 that day. I think the wind chill factor was around -56. They have no heat or insulation in their coop. They do have windows on their run so wind, snow, rain etc can't get in.

It's insane how hardy this breed is... I've even caught them out "sun-bathing" on a sunny -18 degree day!

What did you think of the birds I put up?

Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems that the father is better-looking than the son. I believe you said the offspring is the result of incest (brother-sister pairing?). It seems that in the pictures the son has an unusual, sort of scruffy texture to his feathering. The father seems to have a nice stature, with a VERY good looking tail, and good barring and comb/wattle color. Looks like both have a decent comb, although I can't see the father's that well. I don't know anything about their wattle symmetry or eye color. How are they on weight? 7 lb or more? I will say that it seems that you're doing a **** good job with your breeding. Those cocks look a lot better than my guy that's for sure.

Off topic
"Trouble" (our Sebright & BFF to our Dominique) is now famous on BYC. I was happy & surprised to see that she was chosen as Chicken "Pic of the Week." DD has been working with chicken training, so I wrote a little piece about her two test subjects. Can't wait 'til she sees it.

Quickly going back to roosters and "U-shaped" backs, how is my guys back?:

I think his tail is too upright.

Talking of proper Dominique characteristics...

Is this a rose comb, or a walnut? (I am hatching right now, some pure Doms with some crosses, the crosses should all hatch with walnut combs).

I think his tail is too upright.

Talking of proper Dominique characteristics...

Is this a rose comb, or a walnut? (I am hatching right now, some pure Doms with some crosses, the crosses should all hatch with walnut combs).

95% sure it's a rose. Might be too early to tell?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom