Dominique Thread!

I would love to get some more input from those who keep cockerels/roosters on my new guy's behavior yesterday. I've put the events posted in another thread in the spoiler below (sorry for the lengthy description, I just love writing):

For the most part, things have been going on the same steady track. Ichabod has started doing the torpedo dash around the yard but not directly at anyone. When he does get near one of the girls, he tiptoes past her while she continues on with her business only to pick up his speed again towards open lawn. No hackles raised or anything, he just seems to be enjoying his freedom and burning off some excess energy. This is the most "obnoxious teenager" behavior he's displayed thus far and it's still quite endearing. Still no crowing although I did hear something strange this morning but I think it was one of the hens who hadn't sung her egg song in a while, belting out her [out of] tune.

He did do something a little odd this afternoon. I went out and the whole flock gathered around as usual and he approached after all the girls got to say their "hello's". He's reached a point when sometimes he'll approach and other times he'll hang back. When he does hang back, I don't chase him and when he does approach and I reach for him, I always give him the opportunity to move away. If he doesn't, I'll give him a chest rub and pick him up, pet him, carry him around, etc. Today he stood to be picked up. I sat on the bench and kept him on my lap, hand on his back to keep him nestled there and stroked him under his neck and chest. Hola, the BSL joined us on the bench and chattered the whole time I held Ichabod. Who knows what she was on about but it seemed a content type of conversation. When I decided to put Ichabod down, she climbed into my lap and nestled down in his place, chattering while I petted her. Ichabod watched from the ground and then hopped up on the bench for a closer look and then kept trying to climb onto my lap with her. I pushed him away and she continued to stay on my lap on her own accord.

However, when she hopped down from my lap, he climbed back on. I pushed him off. He climbed back on. I stood up, held him for a minute more before setting him on the ground and moved to walk "through" him. He didn't want to move at first but didn't do anything at all. Just stood there. I would gently push him aside and he would go and I would try to walk "through" him again but again he would just stand there. After a few times of me having to physically move him to the side to walk where he was standing, he finally caught on to the fact that he needs to move out of my way. I think he's testing boundaries (or he really just didn't get it) and I'm hoping I took the most appropriate action in showing him what those boundaries are. We shall see.

I will also add that the next time I went out, he did not hesitate to move out of my way at all, nor has he today. I continue to hope that this is not an early warning sign of future human aggression and that he really just likes attention. I don't know his exact age...I've had him for 2 weeks now so I'd say 5.5 - 6.5 months old.

He also got to spend more time getting to know my dog yesterday (who has been watching over the flock for 7 years now) and I liked his response very much. Curious but relaxed which seems to be his general nature anyway.

Last edited:
He doesn't sound like anything other than a nice rooster.
If he was really trying to stand his ground, you'd be able to tell by his posture. Also if you used your leg to gently push him aside, he would have made a fuss (either attack or run away). Just standing there & looking up at you sounds like he was waiting for a treat or something. LOL

He certainly wasn't coming back at me, wasn't puffed up or chest bumping my leg, etc. Nothing like it. He really was just standing there. I guess maybe I'm a little paranoid - I don't want to be setting myself up for disappointment down the road by being in denial about bad behavior which is making me think on the other extreme and suspicious about everything. I see a lot of posts of people making excuses for bad rooster behavior and I look at him and think: Are you testing me? Are you ill? What's wrong with you? Why are you being so nice to me? What's your motive??

Must. Relax.

Thank you for the input.

Last edited:
I assume all roosters are good, until they prove otherwise. Actual flogging or spurring and they are eaten.

Easy... Don't worry about until you have to.

My current rooster (now age 3) has been golden in regards to personality.

Thank you. I really appreciate everyone's input and patience with all my questions/doubt/paranoia. I've had several cockerels/roosters but never one I could just reach out and touch, let alone one who would actually climb onto my lap or be so content with affection. Granted, I'm brand new to this breed and even my new hens took zero time in adjusting after their move here or getting used to being handled by my children and me.

Only pullet I have kept from this years chicks.

I like her, she looks trim.

Thank you.  I really appreciate everyone's input and patience with all my questions/doubt/paranoia.  I've had several cockerels/roosters but never one I could just reach out and touch, let alone one who would actually climb onto my lap or be so content with affection. Granted, I'm brand new to this breed and even my new hens took zero time in adjusting after their move here or getting used to being handled by my children and me. 

You're exactly where I was at 8 months ago with my dom rooster, and Alaskan and everyone on here did such a good job with giving me advice. My guy was food aggressive from 3-6 months old. Right around 7.5 months he turned into the biggest gentleman and still is to this day. I'm surprised that dom roosters can bethis easy-going and friendly, considering all the people who say they can be quite aggressive. Sounds like your guy is just going through that hormonal stage, but sounds fine. If he isn't good by 9 months, get rid of him or cook him. Athough I don't think you will have problems.

Quote:
Thank you. I've been continuing to handle him and he's not changing towards me at all. The day after he kept insisting on getting onto my lap, he tried again when I sat outside and I let him. He just nestled down to stay for a while without me holding him there and I sat there petting him until he hopped down. He really does just seem to like the attention. A few days ago I saw him charge at a piece of firewood with his hackles raised, trying to spar with it but it was obviously non-responsive so he gave up and picked around for bugs. He hasn't gone for any of the girls like that and if he's going to challenge anything, I'm glad he's choosing inanimate objects hahaha. This morning I heard a noise like something between a fog horn and a cow mooing and I'm pretty sure that was an attempt at crowing because we don't have any cows in the neighborhood and it was clear skies so no fog horns were sounding. I also saw him trying to get close to a few of the girls on and off throughout the day but when they resisted, he let them go and would try getting close to someone else. This is the first I'm seeing this behavior but I think he's making wise choices, especially considering all of my hens are between 1.5 and 7 years old and are unlikely to tolerate anything less than gentlemanly behavior from him and are great about looking out for each other. I have no doubt that if and when he gets too fresh, he's bound to have one or two hens chasing him off. He also doesn't seem to like the honking noise they make when he does get near one when they don't want him to and it stops him from pursuing her further. I didn't realize that they have a reputation for being aggressive. This guy seems anything but. Hopefully we can make it through what I think is the worst part of keeping a rooster without overly drastic changes in his demeanor as I really would hate to see him go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom