Dominique Thread!

LOL unfortunately, I have this problem with all breeds. I have room to comfortably house 16 standard hens, & if all my potential babies hatch out tomorrow that will bring my count to 15!!!

Mine don't usher out easily. If I gently block them and discourage them they will move away - until my back is turned. I will move them away from the raised bed on one side and find them attempting to sneak in on the far side. They aren't quite as sneaky as Bird On Hand, our Black Star who will circle all the way around the yard, going behind visual barriers and demonstrating that she is way over THERE, before approaching the far side of the raised bed.

They happily luft over some garden fences if what they want is very desirable.

They are very determined and persevering; one might describe them as stubborn.

Dominiques have always been known as a docile breed. Years ago one of the strain I had put in my line had some cocks that would be glad to take a piece of me, when set in breeding pens. But I always looked at the fact that I always had the advantage over a 7 pound bird and I consider it to be normal behavior for a chicken. I have seen my hens be more aggressive towards me when I try to break them from being broody or a when I get between a hen and her chicks.

John, what you are describing doesn't sound like a docile breed to me. Is this type of behavior, both cocks and hens, been eliminated from your present flock? Or do you consider it "normal behavior" and it's acceptable? Don't mean to be nitpicky but as you know, this is a bone of contention with me. :)
Thanks.

John, what you are describing doesn't sound like a docile breed to me. Is this type of behavior, both cocks and hens, been eliminated from your present flock? Or do you consider it "normal behavior" and it's acceptable? Don't mean to be nitpicky but as you know, this is a bone of contention with me. :)
Thanks.

It gets to be a fine line - you want protective cocks and broodies - but you don't want them to protect against *you.*

LOL unfortunately, I have this problem with all breeds. I have room to comfortably house 16 standard hens, & if all my potential babies hatch out tomorrow that will bring my count to 15!!!

That's what we call chicken math!
My advice, make sure to keep the Doms! They and APA Ameraucanas and some EEs are some of the sweetest hens you can ever have besides some of the bantam breeds. All chickens are lovely and I love just about every breed on the planet but after having several breeds to try Doms and Amers are the most human and flock friendly that we've experienced besides being decent to prolific egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom