Dominique Thread!

Hi Jewls819 these are beautiful pictures and I envy you as we do not have the Dominique breed down under but fortunately we do have the rocks by the way my eldest daughter is named Julie but called Jewls

Thank you! I wish I could send you some ;-). They are so curious and friendly and love clowning around. Even the chicks are always the first to want attention. I have a brooder with Dominiques, cream legbars, silkies and a pair of swedish flower hens and the Dominiques are still the attention hogs. No matter how many other flocks I have ..the Dominiques will always hold a special place in my heart. They are what got me interested in all my chicken craziness. My name is Julia but all my friends call me Jewls too!

I got these Dominiques at a local chicken sale from a farmer.

Very mature looking birds - have any idea of their age? The hen has a beautiful rosecomb and leader at the back of the comb. Such a pretty pair from what the photos show! Does she have a teepee looking shape to her tail from the back? These are my dream types. Other owners or SOP judges probably like other features but your new birds are what I personally like!

This is our sweet little Carina at 8 & 1/2 weeks old, just chilled out as can be in the arms of our 12 year old daughter. She is from Meyer Hatchery; does anyone want to take a guess at whether or not she is in fact a pullet?

Pullets at day-old are identified by the darker color on the front of their legs and down to the tops of the toes. Your girl looks like she may still have some of these darker shadings on her feet/toes. Such a sweetie and nice that you are using the "judge's hold" when handling her under the breast rather than holding her by her ovarian/reproductive sides.

These were hatched I Feb 19 of this year. I have had them since they were 4 days old.
Very mature looking birds - have any idea of their age? The hen has a beautiful rosecomb and leader at the back of the comb. Such a pretty pair from what the photos show! Does she have a teepee looking shape to her tail from the back? These are my dream types. Other owners or SOP judges probably like other features but your new birds are what I personally like!
Oh they are not new. I have had them since they were a week old. They were hatched late Feb of this year. I had a total of 8 and 2 ended up roosters and 6 hens. I ended up giving one rooster to a friend. Both Roosters were beautiful but I kept the one with a better attitude. I just love my boy he even comes with I call him even though his name is Mr. Rooster..lol. I picked them out myself and did a good job I thought..haha..because I still have a hard time sexing them 100% until they are about 2 weeks old.

These are all Jo/Joe. This bird is lighter than the other 4 Doms.....has a larger comb than the others....I think has larger feet and has no gray or black on feet and legs. No eggs, no crows. I think it is 12 to 16 weeks old. So probably too young for laying or crowing...lol, I know I'm anxious to find out the gender. The people I bought from were unsure about the ages. It sounds like to me he should be a he.....but I don't see a difference in the look of the feathers (besides color). And he has the fuzziest softest looking bottom of all of them, lol.

Sorry these last too are almost the same.

Last edited:
Pullets at day-old are identified by the darker color on the front of their legs and down to the tops of the toes. Your girl looks like she may still have some of these darker shadings on her feet/toes. Such a sweetie and nice that you are using the "judge's hold" when handling her under the breast rather than holding her by her ovarian/reproductive sides.
She did have that leg/foot color at day old & everyone said she was a she, I just wanted reassurance I guess. I usually have everyone in our family allow them to perch on our hands or forearms as they just seem more comfortable with a grip under their feet, but our daughter said she just melted into her like that yesterday. She is a snuggly little thing for sure!

These are all Jo/Joe. This bird is lighter than the other 4 Doms.....has a larger comb than the others....I think has larger feet and has no gray or black on feet and legs. No eggs, no crows. I think it is 12 to 16 weeks old. So probably too young for laying or crowing...lol, I know I'm anxious to find out the gender. The people I bought from were unsure about the ages. It sounds like to me he should be a he.....but I don't see a difference in the look of the feathers (besides color). And he has the fuzziest softest looking bottom of all of them, lol.

Sorry these last too are almost the same.

Last edited:

Thanks Jewls. The odd thing is I would love for one of them to be a roo and it just seems like so many people want hens and end up with roos. I really would like to raise chicks next spring.......next question......I am guessing he is brother to the pullets......is that ok?l

Thanks Jewls. The odd thing is I would love for one of them to be a roo and it just seems like so many people want hens and end up with roos. I really would like to raise chicks next spring.......next question......I am guessing he is brother to the pullets......is that ok?l
Do you know if they are all bred from brothers and sisters?

In other words, if they haven't been inbred, a little inbreeding will be fine.

You do want to be a little more careful that none of them have any kind of problems.

Back
Top Bottom