Dominique Thread!

Good suggestion, and it wouldn't hurt us out here in the cornfield to have rooster crowing early, but I do not have a light timer. The other thing, my white pullets just started laying this Nov and I wanted to encourage it a little longer, just until prob Jan, then I will let them rest the remaining of the winter. The doms were laying in Sept but once it got cold in Oct they quit. They are in the coop pretty much all day anyway, and having the lights on the evening doesn't seem to disrupt them.

There is no barring on a silver white bird. Since producing white Dominique was not my goal, I've only bred them a few times out of curiosity and then they were paired, not pen mated. I've used a white pullet with her sire and later her brother and an unrelated cock. If they were related, there were a couple of whites, otherwise, none. My friend is using a white cock over normal barred hens; I'll let you know how that goes.

reply- barring is a dominant gene. When you bred her to her brother and got white chicks they both had to have a white gene, even if you can't see it in the roo brother. Ratio of white to barred sould be 1:1. Simple genetics

I miss my Dominiques. My last hen passed away this year at 9 years of age. I joined up with the Dominique Club and will have them again. It is just a matter of time. They will never produce like Leghorns, but I'm not making money off eggs. I have never provided artificial light in over 3 decades, and never gone without eggs even when productions slows or stops temporarily. When one stops, another will lay. I believe they can just adjust to the seasonal changes as they have for thousands of years. I'll admit I turn on a light at 5 AM during Winter in one of my coops, but that is so I can set out feed and water each morning in order to get to work on time.

[/quote]
I just shared this little girl on FB. She's my only Dom, and a hatchery bantam. But she's mine. Sweet!
I like her!, I wish I would of known you had bantams, I would like to have some pullets! Nice type, and top line is right where she should be. I am sure she holds that tail up a little higher. I like the clear pattern on her shoulders. I am setting eggs on a bantam cockerel onto one of my small hens, so I can downsize a bantam line over the next couple of years. Need more bantams here in the NE.

Back
Top Bottom