Dominique Thread!

You know, the funny thing with that Marans / Dom cross was that a good 75% ended up with single combs. I was confused because I was under the impression that the rose comb is dominant. In fact, none of the 7 girls got a rose comb (made me wonder if somehow there was a sex link element to it). My Doms are definitely breeder quality pure, so there shouldn't be any hidden genes lurking around to show up in their offspring.

You know, the funny thing with that Marans / Dom cross was that a good 75% ended up with single combs. I was confused because I was under the impression that the rose comb is dominant. In fact, none of the 7 girls got a rose comb (made me wonder if somehow there was a sex link element to it). My Doms are definitely breeder quality pure, so there shouldn't be any hidden genes lurking around to show up in their offspring.

Even with "Breeder Quality" Dominique stock, you can still get an occasional single comb.

Careful folks. The birds carrying the single comb allele are easy to spot when many are present and they are very easy to positively ID by test mating your birds against a single comb bird of any breed.

I'm a little confused, this has never happened before, when my RIR tried to go under the coop, puddles jumped on her and pecked her! Why did she do that?

I might have a hen that occasionally produces two eggs in a day. Her average still must be less than one per day. Three hens are in a breeding pen with cock. Hen ages 3, 4 and 5 years old with cock also 5 years of age. I check nest (communal) daily. This morning only three eggs present but at end of work day seven present. Other possibility is rooster is a "switch-hitter" / hermaphrodite. One of the hens has been producing relatively large eggs previously although with single yolk. The larger eggs not longer evident.

Last edited:
Careful folks. The birds carrying the single comb allele are easy to spot when many are present and they are very easy to positively ID by test mating your birds against a single comb bird of any breed.

Agreed. In 18 years, I have not had a purebred Dominique hatch with a single comb, and only had two second generation crossbreeds hatch with a single comb.

When did combs start to emerge on your chicks? Mine are starting to grow in already! These are supposed to be sexed pullets (hatchery), but now I'm worried I've got roosters.

Back
Top Bottom