Dominique Thread!

First, on my chick picture above, turns out that that is a definite rose comb.

Second,
Odd on the toes.

Not sure, but I would try to give a vitamin supplement for a couple weeks and see if that changes things. Some feet issues are vitamin related. I think B vitamins.

However, personally I prefer breeding for hardy no-nonsense stock, so would cull that one once it is big enough for a good meal.

Alaskan-
I agree with you on the toes. We have a mixed hen with the same crazy toes. She's only still here because she laid over 300 eggs / year for 2 years. We won't be hatching her eggs, though.

I think this is a nice pose. He had one foot up because it was too cold for him, I took advantage. Possibly my new avatar pic too :)

I am thinking about breeding my Doms. I have one rooster, very nice tempered, alert and takes care of his hens. But I am concerned that since they all came together from the same hatchery, that he might be related to the hens. Should I go ahead and pick up another Dom rooster from a different hatchery?

Start with what you have keeping track of what hens are the mothers. Select a couple males that have more tail than you current rooster and so when he stands alert the tail and head appear symmetrical when forming a U-shape with back. He looks a little coarse although some people like that in current American Dominiques. Hens and pullets produced also part of equation. If outside blood acquired then be prepared for greatly increased variation in the way the offspring look, especially those occuring after the first generation cross. Breeding is a long-term game and usually required culling 90% of what you produce before it is old enough to get into breeding pen.

Ditto what he saud.

Hatch as much as you can, and cull hard.

I am in the midst of hatching season, :rolleyes: with enough chicks hatched, you get a much better idea as to what genes are hiding in your birds.

I do not understand the people that bring in a new cock every year.... Because you then have no idea what you are dealing with.

90% culling usually? He stands differently depending on his alertness. Ive seen him stand in such a way that there is a U-shape. [I started paying attention to that after listening in a few pages back about the 'looks'] But I have been having a hard time snapping an adequate picture to reflect that pose. Usually when he is on alert from something flying above.

When we were checking his overall health we noticed he only has (1) long feather coming from his tail, super long compared to the rest. Since you mentioned 'more tail', are you referring to the feathering?

Thank you for your input. :)

Back
Top Bottom