Dominique Thread!

When we had a Dom we got her as a lone chick - we wanted two - but only one was available. She was a pistol for a chick, climbed all over us, sat on our shoulder, picked at our hair, explored our eyeglasses, slept in the palm of our hands or on our arm, slept on the computer keyboard (it was warm), took her first dust bath in a hair-net left on the table, and generally was a very very active chick. She hated to be alone in her kennel and screamed bloody murder if we walked out of her room so we had to let her follow us around the house - flock bird mentality I guess. Sadly we lost her to a sudden seizure out of the blue so we never got to realize her adult personality but Dom show breeders assured me the same temperament is in the adults - busy, outgoing, people-friendly, inquisitive, forward, unafraid. I long for another Dom but have met my yard limit for the time being. Our Breda's temperament is akin to a Dom and if we replenish any lost hens it will be with good-tempered Bredas and Doms. My DH loves his Silkies so we have to have LF that are good flockmates with Silkies. Our Blue Wheaten Ameraucana is the sweetest most timid breed we've had and a good flockmate but she is extraordinarily noisy during her egg cycles and embarrasses us with the neighbors
big_smile.png

Hatched mine- only had 3 eggs and only 1 of those hatched. At least she seems to be a girl, and I had another breed hatch so she's not lonely.

It looks girl - the comb will stay a light pink and before point of lay the comb and/or wattles on females will begin to redden a lot.  With boys the comb and wattles comes in at about 2 months deeper rose.  With Doms the boys feather lighter and girls darker.  Yours looks girl although she has a white collar around her neck I've not seen before -- or maybe it's just the lighting in the photo.  She is so cute.  How's her personality?

She hasn't finished feathering out 100% yet, assuming the white spot will go away when her head-feathers fill in.  Seems nice enough, but doesn't like to be picked up yet (will work on it with treats)

And yes, the spot is only on their down.

Just thought I'd share. I ordered hatching eggs from Nantahala Farms (half are Doms, half are bantam Doms), and they all hatched!!! Just a few picts of mom (Khaan) getting overwhelmed :)

'

Previously, I had three Doms, and they were all favorites because of their personalities. All were from Meyer. two died from 'natural' causes before they were two. ...one an unknown abdominal adhesion, and the most recent died of lymphoproliferative disease (Marek’s disease probable) as necropsied by UC Davis (despite being ordered with Merek's vaccination). I decided then that I was going to look for a different gene line.I'm hopeful that these rambunctious little critters will live long happy lives.

Just thought I'd share. I ordered hatching eggs from Nantahala Farms (half are Doms, half are bantam Doms), and they all hatched!!! Just a few picts of mom (Khaan) getting overwhelmed :)

'

Previously, I had three Doms, and they were all favorites because of their personalities. All were from Meyer. two died from 'natural' causes before they were two. ...one an unknown abdominal adhesion, and the most recent died of lymphoproliferative disease (Marek’s disease probable) as necropsied by UC Davis (despite being ordered with Merek's vaccination). I decided then that I was going to look for a different gene line.I'm hopeful that these rambunctious little critters will live long happy lives.
How wonderful! Were your eggs shipped or did you pick them up? I was going to order from them and then a breeder I used last year for other breeds told me about a guy within a 45 minute drive of me who shows Doms and recently became an APA judge as well (he's young, like 30?). His egg colors surprised me a bit, some were speckled, some were more cream, some a nice pinkish brown- but he won Champion American Res LG Fowl at a recent show and Reserve Champion at another with his male. They sure are beauties! Right now I do not plan on showing, I wanted good representations of the breed and good dispositions. I just put them in the incubator Monday night.

I had my first hatch (other breeds) last week and as soon as it was done I had my first ever broody hen. We've collected eggs a couple of times from under her but this morning we moved her and the eggs and hopefully she'll stick to it and be a good mom. She's only got 4 under her now. Your's here looks like a good momma!

I had the eggs shipped as I am in California! The eggs were packaged really well, and yes, I was surprised by the variety of egg colors as well when I opened the packaging. My previous doms from Meyer, their eggs were all a creamy pinky brown, but the Nantahala eggs were various shades...a tad darker and lighter than I was used to. A tad browner on a couple, and just as you described, there were a coupled mildly speckled eggs too! Her regular dom eggs were slightly larger than the ones my Meyer chickens used to lay, and the bantam eggs were slightly smaller than I was used to. Let me know how your chicks turn out!

'

Necropsies never seem to definitively identify Marek's disease in chickens. They say "probable" but never give a positive yes or no as many other maladies have symptoms with cancerous issues. Chickens can have Marek's but survive it fine but internal cancer growths develop over time in the adult chicken until it dies from the cancer. But then other diseases can also cause cancerous growths so the necropsy reports are just might-be guesses. They can tell you it was cancerous but not what caused it. At least that's what most of the research articles said.

Your new venture to try a different breeder sounds like a good experiment and so far sounds promising. It's so cute to see your EE being a good momma. Did she hatch the LFs and Bantams at the same time? My Ameraucana is 3 years old and never once showed any broody tendencies.

I had the eggs shipped as I am in California! The eggs were packaged really well, and yes, I was surprised by the variety of egg colors as well when I opened the packaging. My previous doms from Meyer, their eggs were all a creamy pinky brown, but the Nantahala eggs were various shades...a tad darker and lighter than I was used to. A tad browner on a couple, and just as you described, there were a coupled mildly speckled eggs too! Her regular dom eggs were slightly larger than the ones my Meyer chickens used to lay, and the bantam eggs were slightly smaller than I was used to. Let me know how your chicks turn out!

I will let you know and I will certainly be showing them off here! Here's the eggs:
Well, darn, something is not right, it's not posting the pic. I may try again later...

Hi everyone, I don't mean to interrupt this thread, but I could really use some help, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I ordered 5 bantam dominiques and 10 silkies from a hatchery. Because I lost half of my exsisting flock to a very bad strain of Mareks disease, I chose to find a hatchery that uses the best vaccine on the market (there are several kinds and I did some lengthy research).. the closesest hatchery was 2 states away and shipping took 2.5 days and unfortunately there was a cold spell with the weather during that time also. Due to not being able to sell chickens once they are on my property and exposed to the virus, I also had the dominiques sexed.

My problem is that they keep dying. The hatchery sent extras. I've lost 4 out of 6, and one of the 2 left looks like she might not make it either. My friend is raising them for me at her place so they aren't exposed to Mareks until they are older. But one has a limp leg with its toes curled. Going on about 6 days now. I made a splint for the toes, and she wore it for 2 days, and I put a multi vitamin, electrolytes, and probiotics in the water. After day 2 I took the splint (or boot) off and she was doing so much better she was running and jumping! Now this morning all of a sudden her toes started to curl again and she has almost no energy! What happened!?! She looks like she won't make it. All I did was take the tape stuff off her toes when she was doing better, and I backed off on the vitamins. Was it too soon? Does she have multiple issues? I understand it's common to lose chicks, but this many?? Was the sexing and shipping too hard on them, or is it possible there was a batch of weak unhealthy chicks at the hatchery?

Today I am trying poly vi sol, ACV, and a couple drops of poultry pro vita. Can anyone else suggest anything else? I really want to try and save her, our chickens are much loved pets, we don't raise them and eat them, and if I only have one left I don't know what I will do because I think she will be so lonely she will go down hill too.

Side note: I only lost 2 out of 12 silkies one of which had a twisted neck. The dominiques were kept in a separate brooder once they stated passing away.

Back
Top Bottom