Dominique Thread!

The judges not only enjoyed DD's chicken training presentation, but one of them gave her contact info because she wants to buy some chicks from us. As we were leaving from the 1st day of judging, DD saw her poster was moved to the front with the big "Best in Show" rosette. (She completed 17 different projects this year.)

Here's the poster she made to go along with her training video.

I liked how she stamped a trail of chicken feet across the bottom.
Video was posted earlier but here's another link.

The other really big project (below) was for vet sci. Thanks to some generous local BYC friends, she was able to conduct a 3rd trial and make some valid conclusions. She had roo fertility issues with trial 1 (He needed a butt fluff trim.) For trial 2 I used the bread machine next to where she placed her eggs. The table shook & the eggs got scrambled. (Only 50% hatched!) Then with only 6 weeks until the fair, she wanted to do a 3rd trial but wouldn't have the time to hatch AND wait for chicks to mature enough to identify gender. That's where the BYC friends came in. She was able to hatch some sexible breeds instead of our lav orps. We found out yesterday, that this project also won "Best in Show." Now my sweet girl must decide which project to bring to Springfield, IL. (Our county only allows a child to bring 1 project so more children have opportunities to go.)

BTW- Although many people say the rounded eggs= female & pointy eggs = male, she found this to be false. Only 38% of her gender predictions based on egg shape were true. With less than 50% correct, I think she would have had better accuracy flipping a coin. LOL Either way, she did a great job measuring the eggs, calculating ratios, making predictions, controlling variables, caring for chicks, and analyzing her data.

Hello, I purchased a Dominique chick born May 4 from Concord Feed Store. At 11 weeks she started to crow and exhibits cockeral features. So unfortunately shes a he and my city does not allow roosters. I am hoping to rehome him with another BYCer. Willing to drive him 2 hours from Bay Area to new home. here he is modeling a no crow collar.
[/URL]
No-Crow-Collar. Tantamount to a No-Eat Collar, No-Drink-Collar....No-Live-Collar. I'm anything but a bleeding heart and I can gleefully kill a bird rather than have it suffer such indignity and distress.

Appreciate your concern Turk Raphael. Dorian is still crowing, eating, drinking and living in my flock. Yes, I have heard of sad stories where uninformed users of no crow collars, did not monitor the rooster after putting it on. Unfortunately, UN-monitiored roosters may be unable to eat drink or even worse, die while wearing the collar. Always. always, monitor and watch your roo if using this device!!

Until I can re-home him, the collar is reducing the crowing volume and giving me more time to find him a new forever home.

Appreciate your concern Turk Raphael. Dorian is still crowing, eating, drinking and living in my flock. Yes, I have heard of sad stories where uninformed users of no crow collars, did not monitor the rooster after putting it on. Unfortunately, UN-monitiored roosters may be unable to eat drink or even worse, die while wearing the collar. Always. always, monitor and watch your roo if using this device!!

Until I can re-home him, the collar is reducing the crowing volume and giving me more time to find him a new forever home.
Wish you were closer to me..I'd have him!
frow.gif

Hello, I purchased a Dominique chick born May 4 from Concord Feed Store. At 11 weeks she started to crow and exhibits cockeral features. So unfortunately shes a he and my city does not allow roosters. I am hoping to rehome him with another BYCer. Willing to drive him 2 hours from Bay Area to new home. here he is modeling a no crow collar.
[/URL]
Such a gorgeous face! It's too bad the collar doesn't show his full glory! Is the collar working? How did you know how to adjust it correctly? I hope he finds a good home! Doms are so great!

[COLOR=0000CD]Such a gorgeous face!  It's too bad the collar doesn't show his full glory!  Is the collar working?  How did you know how to adjust it correctly?  I hope he finds a good home!  Doms are so great![/COLOR]

Thanks Sylvester. Yes he is a beautiful roo. The crow collar reduced volume a little bit. I was able to remove the collar Thursday and let him crow full throttle Friday morning. He along with my ither 12 week old GLW cockeral were adopted by a friend who has 20 hens. Their duties will be security and tending the hens....sigh....boys grown up and on their own now.

Thanks Sylvester. Yes he is a beautiful roo. The crow collar reduced volume a little bit. I was able to remove the collar Thursday and let him crow full throttle Friday morning. He along with my ither 12 week old GLW cockeral were adopted by a friend who has 20 hens. Their duties will be security and tending the hens....sigh....boys grown up and on their own now.

I LOVE happy endings for beautiful and rare cockerels!!! We found a good home for a Blue Breda cockerel and the new owners have turned him into a family pet with indoor priveleges!

Mad Max, 21 weeks. Best of six cockerels, very bad comb, tho. He carries his wing down and tail high when i'm in there stirring up the hens. He's also second in command, so is always watchful for the boss. The boss is called tank, because of his grace, is way too big, but the hens love him and he was kept because he had the best comb, so that hopefully we are not cursed with those gorgeous walnut combs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom