Dominique Thread!

Hello,

Very new to chickens but picked up a Dominique chick from a nearby hatchery. Was assured it was pullet due to head spot but after further review from various sources, I'm concern she may be a he. Which will be highly upsetting, as it is the most gentle bird, let's my four year old handle her (supervised) and always falls asleep. (No Roos in town
sad.png
) some photos:

Some pics of our one and only Dominique pullet chick marked in blue-green dye from Privett Hatchery -- any blue-green on the chick are on the white down on her head and body. Dom pullet chicks have a tight solid white spot top of head and NO white splashing feathers on the back of the neck (usually) plus the pullets have dark shading going down the front of their legs sometimes to the top of some or all of their toes.

Lovely girls!  They seem to have a lot of fluff on them -- is it cold in your region?  I love the U-back and combs but they seem a bit cushion-y to me?  Still, I wouldn't mind having any one of them!
I am in northeastern Ohio, so yes it is cold (although it's been a relatively mild winter). They are also rather large framed in comparison to some lines of Doms and are about half again as large as our hatchery girls! I am exceptionally pleased with their shape.

Duluthralphie, I don't believe I have ever seen a picture of Urch's Dominiques. Would you post some? Thank you.

Sure. However, know they will not be in show condition today. They are living in cages making me babies...

If I can find a decent one..I have 16 new Urch line chicks today! One will win the state as a Pullet I hope....The rooster is in the barn already.

Last edited:
To be so optimistic about your chicks' future, Urch must have a very good line. I have not knowingly seen them and would love be able to compare his to others I have seen with good lines. There is different type within the breed itself. I'm wondering if he has Stickler's line or vice versa. Yes, please, try to get a few pictures. Thank you.

Do you know if Urch Poultry is in business?

Last edited:
To be so optimistic about your chicks' future, Urch must have a very good line. I have not knowingly seen them and would love be able to compare his to others I have seen with good lines. There is different type within the breed itself. I'm wondering if he has Stickler's line or vice versa. Yes, please, try to get a few pictures. Thank you.

Do you know if Urch Poultry is in business?

When I got them a year ago he had been showing them for 65 years. So figure back to the line from that.
I did not get a picture today, Hopefully, tomorrow, I was swamped with work and customers today.

Yes, it is called Urch/Turnland now. He must be 90 years old, but he still shows and breeds.

http://poultrybookstore.blogspot.com/2013/02/more-hatchery-catalogs_23.html

Back
Top Bottom