Dominique Thread!

Weights are the only difference in the APA standard. The standard even refers to the LF description for breeding, judging. The ABA description goes more into detail of body and color description but does not differ in type compared to the APA standard.
For the most part they are expected to be the same but smaller except For a few qualities.

Lovely Dom pics. I'm a sucker for a friendly Dom. Interesting though: this year, I got Doms from Cackle b/c their stock is supposed to be superior to MMc. These gals are sweet but no where near as suck-up friendly as my last trio of Dom gals.

You forgot to mention the feathers!
Doms have softer feathers with less odor. (better for snuggling)

The feathers are also great for dyeing & all sorts of crafts. I make a lot of cards & several have feather accents. (lightweight, free cost, flat for mailing, etc....)

I doubt our Bubbles would win awards in a show ring, but DD won awards for her feather crafts. Our Dom is also a local celeb for her magic act. (Bubbles the Amazing Psychic Chicken. LOL)

Cuckoo feathers make the best hat feathers too. The color is so neutral that the feathers look good on almost ANY hat color! I have over a dozen hats and find the Cuckoo feathers show the best for some reason. I tried buff feathers, white feathers, blue feathers, but Cuckoo or the Partridge Silkie wing feathers look best in a hat band.

Your DD should be the one to win the awards for her chicken training! I've been working with my favorite Dom chick to give me hugs -- so far, she's the only one that tolerates the training bless her heart.

Lovely Dom pics. I'm a sucker for a friendly Dom. Interesting though: this year, I got Doms from Cackle b/c their stock is supposed to be superior to MMc. These gals are sweet but no where near as suck-up friendly as my last trio of Dom gals.

I ordered 3 Dom chicks from my local feed store who gets his chicks from Privett Hatchery. It's the luck-of-the-draw how friendly each chick will behave. I got two outgoing girls and one shy girl, plus all 3 look different and are growing at different sizes and appearance from each other. My friendliest girl I'm training to give me hugs but the other two would rather be off running about being ordinary chickens. Still, they are all very pesty friendly compared to other breeds I've had in the flock.

Right knee chick
DSCN8370.JPG

Left knee chick w/ right knee chick head on the right of photo -- this was when they had blue eyes which have now turned reddish-bay per standard APA.
DSCN8371.JPG

Certain birds have favorite petting spots on the body
DSCN8453.JPG

They don't spook when I use a hand to move them --
DSCN8457.JPG

-- maybe because we raised them from day-old chicks in a kiddie pool in the kitchen where we handled them everyday?
DSCN8248.JPG

We opted to have chickens as pets rather than a dog or cat which we had before -- so as pets these chickens have turned out friendlier than most -- Doms naturally are less afraid of humans than other breeds of chickens -- as chicks they followed us EVERYWHERE!
DSCN8280.JPG

. It takes 100 hatchlings to raise one or two birds to "show quality" and two champion parent winners don't necessarily automatically breed show quality offspring either.

I watched a dinosaur movie last night and swear it looked like my Dom! Also, see the shading down the yellow legs/toes.
View attachment 1198698

Wow, If I only got 1 in a 100 from my showbirds I would find new breeder stock. I get at least one in 10 many times more in my Doms. I run lower in my SS but the stock is poorer, but I still beat 1 in 100 by a long ways. My PC are about 1 in 15-20 that are my worst but Partridge color can be tricky to get right.

I had over a half dozen Doms picked from cull pen and for the most part they were winners at the fairs and shows they went too.

Wow, If I only got 1 in a 100 from my showbirds I would find new breeder stock. I get at least one in 10 many times more in my Doms. I run lower in my SS but the stock is poorer, but I still beat 1 in 100 by a long ways. My PC are about 1 in 15-20 that are my worst but Partridge color can be tricky to get right.

I had over a half dozen Doms picked from cull pen and for the most part they were winners at the fairs and shows they went too.
Agreed.. if you can't get a good bird from 10--20 depending on variety you're doing something really wrong.

Last edited:
Cuckoo feathers make the best hat feathers too. The color is so neutral that the feathers look good on almost ANY hat color! I have over a dozen hats and find the Cuckoo feathers show the best for some reason. I tried buff feathers, white feathers, blue feathers, but Cuckoo or the Partridge Silkie wing feathers look best in a hat band.

Your DD should be the one to win the awards for her chicken training! I've been working with my favorite Dom chick to give me hugs -- so far, she's the only one that tolerates the training bless her heart.
DD did win Best in Show for her chicken training project. Kids are only allowed to take ONE project to the sate fair, so she decided to bring something else.

There are a few chickens that will work for hugs, but for all the others = TREATS!
All chickens love their food. It's also helpful if they're a little hungry. Don't try to train if you've just fed them. A normal training session starts with some lap time. (Gets them used to you & being handled. Usually some lap time while on the computer or watching TV. ) Then we go to the mat or table (any area free from distraction). By the 2nd time, they'll know that training = treats. I use scratch grains or mealworms. I can see them "thinking" and trying to figure out what action they need to do to get the treats. As soon as they figure it out, they keep repeating. It's incredibly fast to train a chicken. So much easier than dogs!

Back
Top Bottom