Dominique Thread!

Oh Sylvester honey that is mild! Feast your eyes on what is left of Hobo.:gig
View attachment 1620471 View attachment 1620472 View attachment 1620473

Oh, I know how pathetic some chickens get from molting. My post was mainly to ask if anyone else has molting Doms this time of year?! I thought Sept to Oct was the usually molting season but my Dana started late in Dec which I thought was unusual. My Cuckoo Breda was done molting with new feathers in by Oct. Just wondered if molting was seasonal or if it depended on the age of the hen? I once had a heavily-underdowned Blue Wheaten Ameraucana (my avatar) that molted three pillows throughout ONE year! I never got another heavily-underdowned breed again after that experience -- our summers are hot and humid horrific here!

Well now you know at least one person does. Hobo started around the very beginning of the month. She stopped laying regularly around Thanksgiving so I knew it was coming. This is her first full molt and she's not a happy or warm girl. The good thing is the feathers are coming back in very fast. I didn't grasp what a little hen she is until she was nearly nude.
Oh, I know how pathetic some chickens get from molting. My post was mainly to ask if anyone else has molting Doms this time of year?! I thought Sept to Oct was the usually molting season but my Dana started late in Dec which I thought was unusual. My Cuckoo Breda was done molting with new feathers in by Oct. Just wondered if molting was seasonal or if it depended on the age of the hen? I once had a heavily-underdowned Blue Wheaten Ameraucana (my avatar) that molted three pillows throughout ONE year! I never got another heavily-underdowned breed again after that experience -- our summers are hot and humid horrific here!

I have an old cock and a old hen, both at least 4 years of age molting now. Cock has yet to loose his tail feathers. It is some I have come to accept as normal in older doms. Games of similar age and older keep to typical schedule.

I have an old cock and a old hen, both at least 4 years of age molting now. Cock has yet to loose his tail feathers. It is some I have come to accept as normal in older doms. Games of similar age and older keep to typical schedule.

My two remaining Dom hens are 16 months old -- one is molting and in-house to treat her for mild fowl pox -- thank goodness I had medicine on hand to catch it early -- but her sister is still full-feathered and still laying. Just so weird that the two girls are so different for being exactly the same age -- must've hatched from different daddy and momma genetics -- they were Privett Hatchery chicks I special ordered from my local feed store so great possibility they are not related girls. Absolutely adore this breed and I've had occasion to sample many different breeds and temperaments.

Back
Top Bottom