Dominique Thread!

My Dom is my favorite of my 5 girls. She just started laying lovely almost pinkish eggs with white spots on them. She's such a sweetheart and loves to cuddle. Guess I need to get some pics!
smile.png

Sounds like a little boy playing with toy cars; screeeeech and squwaaaaaaak as they "drive' them around the corner.
smile.png

We placed an order with Cackle Hatchery and our Dom chicks will be here around the 16th of May. The incubator arrived last week. Still need to order good quality Dom hatching eggs. The brooder is built and ready to go.
Most of the lumber for the fence arrived. Now for the weather to cooperate in order to get the construction done before the chicks and eggs arrive......

So I am here at work thinking...... (always dangerous...)

One of my employees was talking about genograms and geneology and I started wondering about Doms and lines, and "flock geneology".......

According to things I have read concerning the American Dominique, there were only a few "recognized" flocks of Dominiques remaining back in 1970, held by Henry Miller, Edward Uber, Robert Henderson and Carl Gallaher. I assume there were several other flocks kept that weren't known as well.

Wouldn't it be cool if we all were to draw out a "flock family tree" tracing our flocks line back as far as we could? I think it would be a fun project. Even if one obtained their birds from a hatchery, I assume these birds could possible trace their lines back a ways. Wouldn't it be fun to trace your dom flock all the way back to one of these flock, or another, and perhaps even further? Shouldn't be too hard for the serious breeders out there I think......

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Neat idea..... I'm not sure how many have the trail back to the "original" breeder, though. I know I can only trace back a few generations and a couple of breeders back.

So I am here at work thinking...... (always dangerous...)

One of my employees was talking about genograms and geneology and I started wondering about Doms and lines, and "flock geneology".......

According to things I have read concerning the American Dominique, there were only a few "recognized" flocks of Dominiques remaining back in 1970, held by Henry Miller, Edward Uber, Robert Henderson and Carl Gallaher. I assume there were several other flocks kept that weren't known as well.

Wouldn't it be cool if we all were to draw out a "flock family tree" tracing our flocks line back as far as we could? I think it would be a fun project. Even if one obtained their birds from a hatchery, I assume these birds could possible trace their lines back a ways. Wouldn't it be fun to trace your dom flock all the way back to one of these flock, or another, and perhaps even further? Shouldn't be too hard for the serious breeders out there I think......

Thoughts?

So.... sitting here thinking some more......

As I build my Dom flock this year, I want good genetic diversity. (and yes, I am aware that line breeding is fine up to a point), so I wonder, just how many of our flocks areactually close cousins?

Before I ordered my egg producer Doms from Cackle, I asked where they got their Doms. In an email to me, Nancy Smith of Cackle Hatchery said, "...we have had them for 30 some years." That would put their Dom flock acqusition at about 1982-ish. Thats actually quite a long time. It would be likely that they got their breeding stock from either some "unknown" flock that was owned by some guy/gal, or even perhaps from one of those remaining 4 flocks mentioned.
Just thinking.........

Back
Top Bottom